1

I desperately wish my rasping breaths would silence as I swerve through the tree's. I reward myself of the exercise by leaning against one of the tree barks. I attempt to calm myself by closing my eyes and focusing on the quietness.

But then my body freezes and hope deflates inside of me when a whisper kisses my ear, "Hello there."

Sweat clings to me like a hot, sticky sheet. I feel the drumbeat erupting in my chest and I jolt up on my bed. Paranoia courses through my veins as it leads me to scan my room.

Frustration curls in my gut and makes me grip the bed sheets.

For the past two weeks, I have been plagued with nightmares and nights where I'm clenching my throat in an act not to scream.

I curse myself for losing another battle to sleep and rake a trembling hand through my hair. Childishness controls my body to look under my bed.

I pause when a voice like thorns, mockingly enveloped with honey speaks into the silence. "We stop looking for monsters when we realise,"

Lips touch my neck and only the fear of what consequences might come if I make a slight movement stops me from shivering.

My heart hammers in my throat as the next words are laced with gloominess, "They're inside of us."

It seems I was able to sleep again after that since the inside of my eyelids start to turn red and I am almost blinded by the morning rays.

Sunlight bleeds into the room as I open my eyes fully.

I have mixed feelings about the morning. I wonder whether I should be grateful that I woke up or furious that it's just another useless day which happens to save me from the night.

I linger in bed and squint at the ceiling experiencing the familiar floating jelly-like shapes. It's the only fun I will probably have today.

Eventually, I whip off the duvet and drag myself to the bathroom.

No dark bags are visible when I check my face in the mirror. So far so good. It is a miracle none have appeared yet as it would be easily seen against my pale skin. It reminds me of the pale, silver strands hidden in the mane of my walnut brown, curly hair. I never tie my hair too tightly when going to bed so the hair band most likely got lost in my hair. I wiggle my fingers as I run my hand in my hair in search for it, and wince whiles pulling it out as it tugs on strands. Once I've shaped my mane into a tiny knot on top of my head, I grab the shower cap that was hanging on the door handle of the shower door and put it on since I'm too lazy to wash the mane today.

After I've finished brushing my teeth, I hum as I place the wet toothbrush in the pot and allow my tongue to swipe around the inside of my mouth to feel the minty sweetness that the toothpaste left.

Then I lock the bathroom door for safety reassurance and rest my ears against the door expecting to hear some type of movement outside of it.

Some type of evidence that I'm not going crazy- to prove that I was not alone in my bedroom last night.

But of course nothing.

Oddly satisfied, I strip off my pyjamas and step into the shower. Twisting the knob, I get ready for the attack of cold water. And there it is, like hail.

I am slowly met by warmth plummeting my skin so I lean against the shower wall and join my eyelids.

I immediately regret it when the words from last night float back to my mind. Blurred into each other like I'm underwater but easy to remember, unfortunately.