6

I just ditched my friends to go to the library. Because to be honest, I am frankly creeped out! But I have an excuse: I was almost shot and I have no freaking idea why.

Or maybe I'm freaking out over nothing. I mean, it was an invisible, supernatural figure that claimed it was me. However, that same figure seemed pretty physically there when we were in the kitchen.

"Um hello? Young lady?" I jolt when my shoulder is tapped on suddenly. I lift my head from the book I'm not even concentrating on to see an older woman, looking like a stereotypical librarian with the black round glasses and brown hair in a neat bun, set wrinkles etched on her face, and a hidden scowl despite the smile she gives me.

"Sorry dear but the library is closed now, you better be leaving soon. Okay?" Without letting me reply, she grips my arm to 'help' me get up, her nails digging into my skin. Thankfully, she lets go but just to hold her hand out signalling a person from coming in. Aasim.

"Young man, I was just telling this lady it's closing time. So if you could..." she gestures to the exit door for him to leave.

"Oh yeah but can I just talk to you for a second please?"

The librarian sighs but complies. She raises an eyebrow at me, subtly telling me to leave before going to Aasim. But curiosity and a dash of nosiness makes me hide behind the book shelves instead of obeying. Luckily, both Aasim and Mrs Landry didn't notice as the bookshelves block the view to the door.

"Mrs. Landry, could my little sister stay here please?" The librarian starts to protests but Aasim brings on the charm, daring to take both her hands and looking into her eyes desperately.

"Please, it'll only be for the night," he breathes out. Through the books on the shelf I see Mrs. Landry huffing and rolling her eyes. But then the purses her lips and places her hands on Aasim's shoulders reassuringly and gently squeezes them.

Tilting her head and smiling slightly, she permits, "It's okay dear, I trust you. I just don't understand why-"

He interrupts her with an abrupt hug. It seems to me, personally, that the hug was a way to avoid giving her an answer for something, or some mysterious explanation. To my surprise since she rarely shares a hint of a smile or any type of emotion, she hugs back and pats his back awkwardly before pulling away. Then again, when a women is strong, everybody thinks she's cold.

"Where is little Leyna?" Mrs. Landry asks wonderingly. Aaism's smile is wide with gratefulness and he stretches his hand out behind him motioning for his little sister to come. And she is not only adorable, she is gorgeous and looks incredibly similar to her brother. Mix-raced too of course, same brownish golden springs coming from her scalp, similar cyan coloured eyes except her right eye is more blue than green and a smile that is so innocent.

"Hi Mrs Landry!" Leyna greets enthusiastically. Mrs. Landry bends down to run forward and scoop Leyna up earning an adorable giggle from the little girl.

"You can both sleep in the back room for staff. I'm very sorry that it's uncomfortable but you will have to make do if you don't tell me the reason you have to stay here in the first place." she tells Aasim sternly.

To Leyna, still in her arms she says in a kindly nature, "Now I remember buying some cookies today..." and Leyna claps her hands in delight as the librarian walks over to her desk whilst listening to Leyna chat endlessly.

Meanwhile, Aasim is walking towards the exit which is close by me unfortunately. I quickly run to the other aisle but he suddenly pauses- probably hearing my footsteps despite how quiet I tried to be. I whisper a curse to these heavy school shoes I have to wear. It's almost like a dance how Aasim walks backwards and forwards trying to work out the suspicious figure sneaking around the aisles. I almost think I've won but then I realise that I can't see him anymore between the gaps of the book shelving. I panic and start to walk backwards and end up bumping into something then falling. I whack my forehead many times, inwardly scolding myself before finally looking up to see Aasim staring at me with an expression of anger, scepticism and amusement.