13

"I don't know, there's something off about Rehan."

"I agree," Orabelle sides with Aasim.

My legs are spread in front of me as I stretch my arms to reach my toes. Each group has been allocated to a different room in the training centre for a few minutes, with mini gyms in each one. In these times we are supposed to be discussing what we did horribly in our latest operations and how to improve our strategies. We do normally eventually follow that expectation... when we are walking to regroup in the main training ground. But overall, we use these moments to gossip amongst one another privately as a group without listening ears.

Aasim drops his medium weight dumbbells, causing them to roll over in my direction so Jiaying and Zeth are forced to jumped over them whilst they spar together.

"You didn't mention this last night A," I mention as I grab hold of the dumbbells just to pass them onto Orabelle who is currently pretending to exercise.

Aasim seizes some heavier weights. Rolling the dumbbell under his right foot in thought. "I know it just... I thought about it all night-his reaction. It was just too..."

Orabelle fills in for him, "Relaxed?"

"Yeah. I mean, kind of. Except for the breakdown in the car. When I thought it over, it even seemed like a performance from him."

"What if he just gave up and accepted his fate? Whatever that is." I suggest.

"Insanity is doing the the same thing over and over and expecting it to finally work each time! I like your insanity, but not your style of fighting. It's not working! Let it go!" We hear Belle shout from the other room.

"Yep I think it's time to go." Zeth wipes the sweat off of his forehead with a handkerchief before throwing it onto my face.

"Ew Zeth!" I shriek horrified. Snatching the handkerchief off of my face, I scrunch it up standing up and sprinting to Zeth. I aim to shove it into his mouth and choke him but we're interrupted by Mason who is lingering at the doorway. His fluffy, dark brown hair looks almost black as the light reflects off of it, sharp against his lightly tanned skin and green eyes.

"Belle says hurry the hell up."

The room tenses even though Mason leaves as soon as he delivers the message almost demurely. We all look at Aasim instinctively, feeling protective over him due to the history between them. His jaw tenses but he says defensively, "I'm fine. Let's go," as he marches out of the room swiftly.

Finding out Mason was apart of this gang seemed like a shock factor for Aasim when we had a first meeting with everyone. My friends and I immediately noticed Aasim's eyes narrowed and arms tense making the atmosphere shift. Zeth pretended to be oblivious, using Aasim's shoulder as a ledge to hang his arm on so that Aasim was distracted when pushing it off of him. A logical part of me knows that he would have left that very same day if it wasn't for Leyna. Another part of me hoped he might have stayed in consideration for me.

Aasim has never told us what happened between them. Jiaying, Orabelle and I filled in for Zeth about the fake shooting near the school. Without Aasim's knowledge, I did speak to Mason in private to get some answers for that day. He was a bit hesitant at first, using every chance to get away from me it seemed since he thought I was 'Aasim's girl' and kept repeating that he 'didn't want trouble' but he warmed up to me slightly after I clarified that I'm not.

"So who- like what? I'm sorry I don't know where to start."

"It was my first real mission if you can even call it that. To see if I and the rest of the boys you saw were good enough for the gang basically."