Chapter 21: First Love

Ellie lay on her bed, staring at the ceiling, her mind a tangled mess of emotions and memories. The confessions from both Jeremy and Charlie played over and over like a never-ending loop.

How could they both like me? She was just Ellie, plain and boring.

She stood up and walked to the mirror, gazing at her reflection. Her brown eyes looked tired, reflecting her inner turmoil. Her wavy hair fell around her shoulders in a messy halo. She ran her fingers through it, trying to make sense of the chaos both inside and out. She felt plain, ordinary, and completely unremarkable. How could anyone see her as special?

Jeremy and Charlie liked her, she scoffed, it felt like a joke but the seriousness in their faces was hard to ignore.

Ellie's thoughts drifted to Charlie. He had been there on the first day of school, saving her from a possible bike accident. His calm and charming demeanor always put her at ease. Whenever he smiled, it felt like the world was a little brighter, and whenever he spoke to her, his voice had a soothing effect that made her worries seem smaller.

Charlie had helped her with schoolwork, never once making her feel inadequate. His patience was boundless, and he explained things in a way that made everything click. He never got frustrated, even when she asked the same question multiple times. She found herself looking forward to their study sessions, not just for the academic help, but for the time spent with him.

She remembered the indirect kiss through her mask—a seemingly insignificant moment that had left a lasting impression. Her cheeks flushed at the memory, a warmth spreading through her. There was something about Charlie that made her feel special and seen. She couldn't deny it—she probably had a crush on him. She blushed.

But then there was Jeremy. The boy she initially hated and swore she would never like. They had started on the wrong foot, with his teasing and antics getting under her skin from the very beginning. Ellie remembered the first day of school vividly when Jeremy had hit her with a ball, and everyone had laughed. She had been so embarrassed and furious, certain she would never be friends with someone like him.

Yet, somehow, that had changed. Over time, she had seen different sides of Jeremy. He encouraged her to do what she loved and made her run again.

His snarky jokes always brought a smile to her face, no matter how bad her day had been. Jeremy had a way of knowing exactly what to say to lift her spirits, even when she felt at her lowest. His humor was a constant in her life, a reliable source of light in the darkest of times. It wasn't just his jokes; it was his presence, his way of making her feel like everything would be okay. He was strong and smart, a combination that made him both a protector and a confidant. He had a sharp mind, always ready with a quick comeback or a clever solution to a problem. His strength wasn't just physical but emotional too.

With Jeremy, she didn't need to pretend; she could be vulnerable, and it didn't matter because she knew he would listen. He was the one person she could be completely honest with, the one who saw her flaws and insecurities and accepted them without hesitation.  

Ellie sighed, sinking back onto her bed. She was caught in a dilemma. Ellie found herself torn between her feelings for Charlie and Jeremy. Charlie was her crush, the one who made her heart race and her cheeks flush. But Jeremy was her confidant, the one who made her feel safe and understood. It was complicated, leaving her unsure of what she truly wanted. If she chose one, the other would undoubtedly get hurt. But she couldn't prolong this decision either—they needed to know her answer. She groaned in frustration, burying her face in her hands. How had her life become so messy?

This high-school drama is too much for me!

The next day, the classroom buzzed with excited whispers. Rumors of a new student reached everyone's ear. It was unusual for a transfer student to join so late in the semester, and everyone was curious. Heads turned and voices murmured in anticipation, filling the room with energy.