Chapter 13: Fun and Festivities

The festival day finally arrived, filling the school with the buzzing and murmur of excited voices. The campus had been transformed into a playground of entertainment, ensuring that each student had a fun and memorable time. Food stalls lined the walkways, and each class organized various activities, creating a lively and colorful atmosphere.

Oh, this is fun! Ellie thought to herself, her eyes glimmering with excitement as she took in the festive scene.

Her eyes widened in surprise when she suddenly felt an arm wrap around her shoulders. Turning around, she saw Jeremy smiling down at her.

"Up for the horror booth later?" he asked a hint of teasing in his voice.

Ellie raised an eyebrow, catching onto the challenge immediately. "Are you implying a test of courage here?" she said out loud.

Jeremy laughed, clearly amused by her feistiness. "I'm not implying anything at all," he replied. 

"I accept your challenge, Jeremy. Just be ready—you might be the one who ends up crying," she added with a smirk.

He tapped her head and smiled warmly. "Just cling to me if you start feeling scared. I'll protect you," he said, before quickly walking away, leaving Ellie fuming with irritation that he had the last word in their conversation and for making her heart flutter.

"Stupid Jeremy," she whispered under her breath, her cheeks flushing slightly as she watched him disappear into the crowd.

Hours passed, and Ellie was watching over their booth, taking her turn so everyone had a chance to enjoy the festival activities. Suddenly, two guys approached and asked if she was Ellie. When she confirmed, they explained that she had been selected for a blind date.

Her eyes widened, normally, someone could pay to pair a couple, or even as a prank, and if you refused, you had to pay a penalty. Curious about who had set her up, Ellie decided to go along with it.

They blindfolded her and led her into a room, guiding her steps to avoid any obstacles. When they finally took off the blindfold, Ellie blinked to adjust her eyes and was stunned to see Charlie sitting across from her.

He was smiling shyly. Is he embarrassed? she wondered.

"Looks like we've been set up," he commented, trying to lighten the mood.

Ellie glanced around, noticing other couples who also seemed awkward with their dates. She stifled a laugh. The room was decorated with tables and chairs draped in red, and heart-shaped posters hung from the ceiling, making the entire setup feel like a cheesy romantic comedy.

"This is stupid," she said, laughing. "So high school!"

Charlie chuckled, relaxing a bit. "Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. But hey, might as well make the most of it, right?"

Ellie smiled, feeling more at ease. "I guess you're right. So, any idea who set us up?"

Charlie shook his head. "No clue. But whoever it was, they probably thought it would be funny to see us squirm."

Ellie rolled her eyes playfully. "Well, the joke's on them. I'm having a good time."

Charlie's shy smile grew wider. "Me too, Ellie. Me too." His eyes went back to her. "So, we have 15 minutes to get to know each other. Since this is a blind date, why don't we start by introducing ourselves and sharing our likes and dislikes?" Charlie suggested, playing along with the unexpected situation.

Ellie chuckled in agreement. "Okay, let me start. I'm Ellie, and I like sports. I dislike tall places because I have a fear of heights. It makes my head spin, and just thinking about falling turns my stomach upside down," she grimaced, recalling her fear.