Chapter 24: Camping Trip

The next remaining weeks before the semester ended, Ellie noticed that Jeremy was avoiding her. She couldn't pinpoint why, but doubts lingered about what had happened at the prom. After she had danced with Charlie, she had gone back to the event, but Jeremy was nowhere to be seen. He reappeared only when it was time to go home, completing his gentlemanly act by making sure she was safe. However, his words were few, barely more than one or two during the entire walk home. When she asked what was wrong, he gave her the fakest smile and told her everything was fine.

Ellie replayed that night repeatedly in her mind, trying to make sense of Jeremy's behavior. At first, she thought he might just be tired, but as the days went by, his distance became more evident. He no longer sought her out during breaks, and when they did cross paths, he made quick excuses to leave. It hurt her more than she wanted to admit.

One afternoon, she decided to confront him. She found him sitting alone on a bench near the school garden, staring at his phone. Taking a deep breath, she approached him.

"Jeremy," she called softly.

He looked up, and for a moment, she saw a flicker of something, is it pain, maybe regret? But it was quickly masked by a forced smile.

"Hey, Ellie," he greeted, his tone flat.

"Can we talk?" she asked, sitting down next to him.

Jeremy hesitated but then nodded. "Sure, what's up?"

"That's what I want to know," Ellie said, trying to keep her voice steady. "You've been avoiding me ever since prom. I don't understand why."

Jeremy sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm not avoiding you, Ellie. I've just been... busy."

Ellie frowned. "Busy with what? We used to spend so much time together, and now it feels like you're a stranger."

He looked away, his jaw tightening. He breathed and smiled again; Ellie realized she was starting to hate that look in him. "It's nothing. Don't overthink it. I have to go Ellie I still have practice. See ya!"

"Jeremy wait!" Ellie called out but he was already gone. Ellie watched as Jeremy walked away, his forced smile plastered in her mind.

Did I do something wrong? She thought.

She sighed. She didn't want things to be this way between them. But for now, she had to let it go.

The final school activity before the semester ended was an overnight camping trip, organized by the school's outdoor club. The trip was designed to foster teamwork, leadership, and a love for nature. It was a tradition for the seniors, a rite of passage before graduation.

The students gathered early one morning, excitement buzzing in the air as they loaded their gear onto the bus. The destination was Pine Ridge Forest, a sprawling expanse of woodland known for its scenic hiking trails and serene camping spots.

As they arrived at the forest's edge, their teachers briefed them on the itinerary. The first day would involve a challenging hike through the forest, navigating various trails, and learning about local flora and fauna from their guides. In the evening, they would set up camp near a clearing, where they would cook dinner over campfires, share stories, and participate in team-building activities.

Ellie found herself paired with a group that included Charlie, Jeremy, Ress, and a few other classmates.

Great! She exclaimed.

The atmosphere was tense, especially with the unresolved tension between Ellie and Jeremy, and the presence of Ress, who seemed to cling to Charlie at every opportunity.