9

Lando

The race at Silverstone went almost as badly as the one at the Red Bull Ring. Almost. I might have ended up on a podium, but what the fuck was that race? I should've won. I would've won if I'd chosen the right tires. Why did I even choose softs? It's known to the whole fucking world that we are shit on softs. I should've chosen mediums.

– Your brain is literally on a run to London right now – a blonde in front of me mumbled with annoyance as I was digging my fork into my carbonara.

My head turned up from looking at my plate to look at her face immediately. Her brows were raised, exactly like mine. We were sitting outside a fancy restaurant in Monaco. There were a few people around us.

– Yeah, sorry – I sighed and took the last forkful of my dinner. I wasn't hungry anymore, so I put my fork aside and drank some water.

– We should go on a double date with Pietra and Max – she smiled widely at me, and my brows came up even higher than before.

Was she for real? I'd told her that they had broken up more than a week before this meeting.

– They've broken up, Prim – I rolled my eyes as she just mumbled a quiet "oh" and looked at me with pure confusion on her pretty face.

– Is he dating someone new, then? – she asked after a few seconds of silence, while eating her salad.

I looked at her with a frown. Yeah, he's dating your sister. Maybe you should talk to her more often to know that. I wanted to say that, I really did, but I didn't want to make her feel bad. She came to Monaco from Milan only to stay here for two days before going to Hawaii for another photoshoot. She could've gone to see her family, but she chose me.

– Yeah, it's fresh though, so you know... – I shrugged. I mean, I didn't lie. It was fresh, and they probably weren't dating yet, but they were on a good path to do that.

– Oh, good for him, I guess. We should meet up someday. I miss his silly jokes – she smiled at me, and I swear to God, just her smile could make me weak.

– We should – I smiled back at her, because who wouldn't?

– Did you pay already? – her hands went to her purse, probably to look for some lipstick.

– Yup. As always, babe – I chuckled as she smudged her red lipstick a little.

She just rolled her eyes and laughed as she looked at herself in her little compact mirror. She was literally like a ray of sunshine.

– Let's go to bed – she winked at me with the sweetest smile in the world.

I just smirked at her. We both knew what that meant.

***

Prim left my apartment the day after, and I had a week off, so I decided to invite Max to my place for a few days, and then fly to London with him and go to the MTC for some interviews I had to do before the Hungarian Grand Prix.

He was a real friend. He always had time for me.

– Mate, the gossip pages are all over with pictures of you and Prim at the restaurant – Max sighed as he came into the living room with his phone in his right hand and a pack of chocolate cookies in the other.

I rolled my eyes. Of course they were. I couldn't do shit without someone taking a picture of me. It was nothing new.

– I don't care – I mumbled and took the remote control to put on some movie on Netflix. We were both seated next to each other on my couch, and I couldn't look him in the face while he was looking at me with concern.

– You don't care that every time you meet her, someone is taking a picture of you two? That she's leaving some of her stuff in your house when she knows that you're going to film some videos? Or maybe that one time when you paid for a private jet to travel with her to Madrid, and the next day the pictures of you two were leaked? While you were asking and paying for fucking privacy. What a coincidence that was, huh? – his voice was full of irritation and anger, but I still couldn't look at him. I was just looking at the TV, scrolling through some movies, not even looking at the names of them.

I didn't want to hear any of that shit.

– CAN YOU JUST FUCKING LISTEN TO ME FOR ONCE?! – he took the remote out of my hand and turned the TV off.

I pressed my lips into a thin line when I finally looked at him. He was staring at me like I was from another planet.

What should I even answer him? I just didn't care anymore. She was there for me. That's all that mattered.

– I don't care, Max. Leave it – I mumbled and tried to take back the remote, but he put it behind his back. I rolled my eyes.

How childish of him.

– She's not worth it, Lando. All the things you do for her just to be seen as one of her guys and for her to be seen as one of your girls. Why are you even doing this? – he sighed. I could see that he was worried.

She was worth it.

– She is worth it, Max. She was with me when I felt like shit, she was... – I started, but he laughed sarcastically almost immediately.

Maybe at the beginning she was worth it, but man, she's not even answering your calls anymore, not texting you back. She's seen with various guys around, and you're doing everything she wants. You came with her to her sister's wedding, for fuck's sake! Did she ever come with you to Daisy's birthdays? Or your parents' birthdays? Or even your friends' weddings? – he was yapping and yapping, and I wanted him to shut up so badly.

We were nothing serious, so I understood her. Prim was like friends with benefits to me. Maybe sometimes we were more than that, but... Okay, maybe I was doing a little too much for her lately. But I really thought she was worth it.

– I'm seen with other girls too – I almost whispered.

That wasn't a lie. I liked to go to a club and find some girls for the night to occupy myself with. To get my mind off all of this shit when Prim wasn't around.

– Oh my... You don't understand! She doesn't want you, Lando! She doesn't care about you anymore! This bitch just wants your dick and fame, for fuck's sake! Open your eyes before it's too late! – he almost shouted, and I could feel by the way he was saying this, that he had been waiting to tell me that for a long time.

And then I switched to my defensive mode.

– She's Laura's younger sister. How can you say shit like that about her, huh? You think Laura would like it? – I looked at him with my jaw clenched.

He threw his brows up with a fake smile.

– I'm just talking to you, like a best friend to a best friend, not to Laura or anyone. I just don't want to see you hurting. But do what you wanna do, I don't care anymore – he sighed and turned away.

I was still looking at him when he turned the TV on and started to look for a movie to watch while eating the cookies straight from the package. I could see his jaw clenching as he was trying so hard not to say anything more to make it worse.

I sighed loudly and got up. I couldn't even be in his presence anymore, so I took my cigarettes and went to the balcony.

Why did everyone expect something from me? The team and sponsors wanted me to win, my family wanted me to spend more time with my little stepsister, my friends wanted me to make the best parties, and now Max wanted me to end things with the only person who helped me get through tough times.

– Always under fucking pressure – I mumbled to myself while exhaling the smoke of my cigarette.

***

Hi guys!

THANK YOU FOR OVER 1k VIEWS!
You're the best xx
Remember to leave a comment and vote! I will really appreciate that<3
Till the next one xoxo