Second Life (Pt. 2)

Janet POV
"What happened? Byron happened. He was the chaos that struck. The one that separated us, but also allowed me to find you once again."

"What's going on?" Several voices asked in unison. But their voices were drowned out by a large boom above us, and the ceiling collapsed, raining pieces of rubble on us. Everybody darted away from the chaos, and Evan murmured a string of unintelligible words which sounded like he was speaking an ancient forgotten language. At his command, the rest of the soil collapsed and everybody rushed out from the crack to check what was going on.

"No," I stumbled back. "It's them..."

"Them" referred to a series of Retropolian warriors who had lined around us. And among them was Chris, the male soldier who has been stabbed by me a few weeks ago. He looked extremely different—he wore some sort of odd bracelet around his wrist, holding a black contraption as he eyed Janet furiously.

"It was her! She killed Alina!" He told an old man beside him.

"Shit," I whispered as I grabbed Fang's arm and flew us high above. They gave chase in an odd helicopter, shooting numerous bullets at us as we soared towards Assone.

Hopefully we would make it on time.

"Who was that old man?"

"Byron," I answered. "He's the lead of our division, and he has really special punishments for traitors like me."

"Then we'd better go faster," he gulped. He shot some sneakers at them, hoping to damage their aircraft. Best he could do was to crack a windscreen.

"No....nononononono..." I gasped. We were completely surrounded by the enemies. I plummeted, bringing Fang with me as we arrived on street level and raced away.

But the foundation of this life had collapsed once again. Looks like we wouldn't finish our love story here. It had to be another time.

Chris stood in front of us, raising a rifle. He shot Fang with it, and instantly he doubled over. It was bleeding furiously, and he probably had only a few seconds left.

"Janet, looks like we've gotten into trouble again," he smiled weakly. "We won't finish our love story in this life. But we'll finish it another day. I promise. We'll be together for eternity, and we'll never stop. And we reunite, there shall be nothing stopping us that time. Because that's all going to be in another life."

Then everything went black, and he fell silent.

It was the end of this chapter.

But the beginning of the next.

Tears streamed down my cheek as I tried to call Fang back, but to no avail. And then Byron stepped out of the shadows, raising a container with green gas as he warned, "I told you I had special punishments for traitors, didn't I?"

I had no time to react before everyone put on a gas mask and the gas seeped out, enveloping me.

And when it finally faded off, everyone was gone, except for Fang's body still lying on the ground. And this time...mine as well.

Byron had made me into a ghost, I realised.

I drifted down to Fang, wiping the blood off his cheeks as I whispered, "One day, I'll be back for you, Fang. I won't ever stop loving you too. I'll make sure you weren't the one that got away."

Then I flew to Assone, in search of a new life.

Fang POV
"Whoa...all that happened in another life? Everything killed our love story?" I murmured.

"Yeah," Janet answered. But I wasn't listening, because something was off. And it took me five seconds to place my finger on it.

Somebody was sitting in front of me. A familiar white-haired, bluebell-eyed, glass-skinned girl.

I gasped, and she changed her expression as she asked, "What?"

It took me a while before I finally stammered out, "I see you."