Hear Me Out

"Who was that old man?" I asked.

"Byron," she answered. "He's the lead of our division, and he has really special punishments for traitors like me."

"Then we'd better go faster," I gulped. I shot some sneakers at them, hoping to damage their aircraft. Best I managed was to crack a windscreen.

"No....nononononono..." Janet gasped. We were completely surrounded by the enemies. She plummeted, bringing me with her as we arrived on street level and raced away.

But the foundation of this life had collapsed once again. Looks like we wouldn't finish our love story here. It had to be another time.

Chris stood in front of us, raising a rifle. He shot me with it, and instantly I felt a large pain in my abdomen. It was bleeding furiously, and I probably had only a few seconds left.

"Janet, looks like we've gotten into trouble again," I smiled weakly. "We won't finish our love story in this life. But we'll finish it another day. I promise. We'll be together for eternity, and we'll never stop. And we reunite, there shall be nothing stopping us that time. Because that's all going to be in another life."

Then everything went black, and my soul drifted away.

It was the end of this chapter.

But the beginning of the next.

That was a rather interesting memory, I thought.

The girl was Janet, I was sure, she looked the exact same as she did in this picture in my hand. In this memory, she was probably my girlfriend in another life, which explained why she felt so painfully familiar. And at the end of the memory I had died, which probably led me to where I was now. But was Janet still alive? Was she the one who had put the picture there? Did she want to continue our relationship? Was she the one for me? And what did the memory have to do with the phrase, "The One That Got Away"?

That was way too many questions for my poor mind to take. I decided o got to sleep, and ponder tomorrow. Tomorrow would be a new day.

Janet POV
I watched in disappointment as Fang went to sleep. My plan had failed in the end.

I sobbed quietly, wiping my eyes to stop the dears fr9m rolling and splashing everywhere.

As I watched Fang stare at the ceiling blankly, I hummed my favourite tune softly to cheer me up.

"In another life, I would be your girl...we keep all our promises, be us against the world...in another life, I would make you stay...so I don't have to say you were the one that got away......the one that got away..."

I was about to give up and head home when Fang suddenly shot up and asked, "Who's there?"

I gasped. Did he just hear me? Did my plan work after all?

"Hold on, can you hear me?" I asked hopefully.

Fang didn't respond, his eyes trailing the room as I held my breath in anticipation.

But in the end, he said, "Yes, I hear you."