Vladimir

When the plane landed, Peaches waved her gun at me. I frowned at her, but I got to my feet and headed for the ramp as it was dropped. Stepping down the stairs, my eyes flickered around in an effort to absorb everything I could and make sense of where I was.

The barren wasteland of snow ruled out anywhere close to the equator. But it was still a little too common for me to figure out where I was. My boots hit the slick pavement as my gaze rested on the old sign identifying the little airstrip. The Russian characters gave me my location globally. I didn't read Russian and my Russian geography wasn't good enough to narrow down where I was even if I could read it.

I hooked my thumbs in my pockets as my eyes dropped down to the tall figure striding across the space between the building and the plane. The figure moved like a male, with a confidence that was tempered by a wariness. A long, thick coat and fur lined hat combatted the Russian November cold.

I glanced back as Peaches came off the plane, bundling up and giving me a concerned look. My leather vest with fur collar and long sleeves underneath hardly were adequate for the weather, but the cold didn't bother the undead much. I turned back to the man as he stopped a long way away. I got the feeling he wasn't the most social of people.

"Katty Moon?"

I dipped my head, acknowledging my name in thick Russian. "I'm afraid I was told nothing about you." I watched the man struggling with the English and switched to French, hoping to smooth the lingual barrier a little. "We can speak in French if that's easier, but I'm afraid those are the only two languages I know besides Latin."

The man perked up a little, slipping easily into Latin. "My name is Vladimir. I apologize for the circumstances. I was hoping things could be a little more, amicable, but I couldn't afford for you to refuse to see me."

I nodded. "Does this mean I actually get some answers now?" I relaxed a little, but I still linked up with my sisters again. For as long as I was alive, and apparently not in trouble, I would try to keep them aware of that. The less they panicked, the better the rest of my family would deal while I was gone.

Vladimir nodded. "Yes. This way." He made a gesture back towards the little airport and led the way. I followed, lengthening my stride a little more than usual to catch up. Vladimir's attention immediately snapped to me, despite not turning his head to look. All the psychology I had been doing recently started to stretch as I began to apply it. Vladimir didn't do physicality. He was not a people person and my very proximity was putting him on edge.

I backed off, letting him relax. No need to set Peaches off because I was pushing her bosses buttons.

Vladimir led me to a sleek black limo and climbed in when the chauffer opened the door. I climbed in behind him when Peaches pressed the muzzle of her gun against the small of my back. I took the seat across from Vladimir and made myself comfortable while Peaches took the seat next to her employer, setting her gun on top of her thigh where she could continue to point it at me. I ignored her and turned my full attention on Vladimir.

The man was attractive, but there was something off putting about him. He wasn't fully human, I was certain. There was just something...otherworldly, about him. I glanced at his gloved hands but couldn't determine if he was hiding claws or not. His eyes were dark, with little difference between pupil and iris. He was trying to come across with the confidence I had seen earlier, but he was uncomfortable meeting my eyes.

"So. What exactly was so important that you needed to kidnap me?"

Vladimir took in a breath to settle before speaking quietly. "I need your help. My little brother, Misha, has been stolen from me. You have resources and power. Influence. And given your nature, I thought you would be most amenable to helping."