Russia

I watched out the window as we rode into a populated area. It was nothing so big as Moscow or St. Petersburg, but there were still some impressive Russian structures. I felt eyes on me and glanced away from the scenery to find Peaches staring at me. Her raised brow made me realize I was humming 'Rumor in St. Petersburg'.

I grinned. "What? My seven-year-old likes the Anastasia movie."

Peaches looked me up and down. "You don't look old enough to have a seven-year-old."

Shrugging, I turned back to the window. "I have a twenty-five-year-old too. Granted, he's adopted, but still. I'm a lot older than I look."

We pulled up on a street with plenty of shops and I slid out of the car. I waited patiently while Peaches and Vladimir climbed out of the car, then I struck out for the nearest clothing boutique. I might have no problem with the cold, but I should fit in.

I quickly browsed through until I found a warm coat and matching hat. I was about to pay for them when Vladimir set the money down. I hesitated, debating to argue that I could afford it on my own, then changed my mind. I could pay him back when I got some Russian currency instead of American, or count it as part of the job payment.

Next, we moved on to a phone store and I picked up the exact model I had had previously. This time, I expected Vladimir to pay. Peaches owed me a new one after all. Vladimir asked if I needed anything else and I shook my head, already messing with my new phone in an attempt to set the language to English.

I still didn't miss when Vladimir breathed a sigh of relief once we were away from the people. No one had been impolite, or even particularly interested, but anyone he had come into close contact with had instinctively shied away from him, consciously or not.

The limo started moving again and I finally got the language switched over. Then I was recreating my contacts with single minded focus. I was surprised at how many numbers I knew off the top of my head. But others eluded me. It was irritating when those illusive numbers were ones that were highly important. I sighed as I finished putting in what I could. It wasn't even half of what I'd had, but it was the best I could do at the moment. I silently thanked the Sire that I had quit procrastinating long enough to put all my contacts into an address book that Juliette had given me at one point.

The woman wasn't good at technology and believed everything should have a backup hard copy somewhere. I had seen the logic. I just hadn't expected to need it. I was going to have to thank her when I got back home. Jason could assuredly find everything I had lost saved in the ether somewhere, but I wasn't tech savvy enough to know much more than it was possible.

Speaking of home... I hit dial and held the phone to my ear, my eyes going back out the window as we headed out of town. I grumbled when the phone didn't connect and went to voicemail. Typically, I hated leaving voicemail, but I made an exception this time and waited until the beep prompted me to start speaking.

"Hey Max, I'm gonna guess you didn't answer because you didn't recognize the number. Just wanted to let you all know I was fine. I'll be home soon as I can so don't panic. Kiss Aisling for me. Jason too. Love you all."

I frowned as I hung up and opened up my links with my sisters. Just a brief connection. I attempted to call both my sisters, but both of them went straight to voicemail.  I had to assume they were both chasing leads so I left them messages that amounted to 'don't worry' and hung up.  I was distracted as we left the town behind and headed for open spaces infrequently populated with houses and the odd car going the other way.

It took almost an hour to get to a grand house. Vladimir led the way inside and started shucking off his gloves and coat. "Yuri will show you to a room. Make yourself comfortable. Whenever you're ready to look at my brother's room, just let anyone know." Then he was disappearing.