27. Emotional Breakdown

"He's dead,"

Arshi froze. Her eyes stick to Ayushi, she felt the ground slip under her feet, and she was falling deep into an abyss.

Her mind was numb, and her heart shattered into countless number of pieces.

Tears continuously fell from her eyes. She didn't blink for once. Her chest has risen and falls vigorously. She couldn't digest Ayushi's words.

She chuckled.

"What...what..stupid!" She said sadly with a smile, trying to make herself believe that it was a prank or joke.

"You.. you are lying." She looked at her mother.

"She..she is lying nah ma?"

But Sharmistha stayed silent.

Arshi fell on the floor. She sat, crying her heart out.

Everyone's eyes are welled up with tears except Ankit's.

Ayushi ran to Arshi and hugged her. "Dont cry...it was an accident."

She caressed her head while crying, too.

"Why..why..didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Because He didn't want to trouble your newly married life."

Ayushi looked at her while wiping her tears, but they would wet her skin again and again.

Arshi cried harder and harder. She cried so much that she gagged.

Sharmistha quickly got her water.

"This is the reason why he didn't want to stress you. You know his last words in the hospital bed were: Dont let my sister cry for me."

Those words were like arrows that struck her deep in her heart.

A few minutes later.

Sharmistha calmed Arshi.

She somehow sent her to the bedroom for rest.

The moment she emerged into her room, she saw her husband, who was drying his hair.

She got a feeling that it was her husband who killed her brother, and she was sure about it.

She went to him.

"Keno marle amar bhai ke?"

(Why did you kill my brother?)

Rune chuckled. "What are you babbling? I don't get a word of yours!"

"Why did you kill my brother?"

Rune turned. "I didn't kill anyone."

Arshi chuckled sadly. "How easily you lie to me! I know it's you!!"

She sobbed and began to hit his chest. "Keno marle Amar bhai ke! Keno??? Ki Śatrutā Chilo Amar bhai er sathe? What...what did he ever do to you?"

She kept slapping his chest. He kept looking at her crying and struggling.

He didn't speak a single word. He had no clue what she was talking about. But he knew that something was wrong..so very wrong.

"Tell me! Why did you kill my brother? You... you ... said if I marry you... you will not harm my family.. you said if I marry you.. you will return my brother his job..then why?"

"I didn't kill him. I didn't even know he died. I kept my promise, Arshi." He was about to touch her face, but she stopped him.

"Dont touch me." She warned angrily and then sobbed hard."How did you return his job? By taking his life? You even...fake promised me...the truth is that.. you killed him before we left for Italy, didn't you?"

He held her hand in the air, stopping her from slapping his chest.

"I didn't kill anyone."

"How much more are you going to lie, Rune? How much more? You lied to me for so many things. You said you loved me, so you married me. I agreed to that because you promised to give back my brothers job. I married you because of my family. I wanted to save them from my abusive uncle, especially my mother. My one sacrifice could save my family. But you... you...killed my brother?"

"I didnt-"

"Was I not enough for your game? Was I not enough for you to destroy that you dragged my family into your dirty game? I surrendered myself to you for the sake of my family, but you... you...killed my brother."

Rune had no words.

"You... you could have killed me instead of my brother." She sobbed and began slapping his chest again. "Why didn't you kill me? Why did you kill my brother? Why???" She fell on her knees and sobbed.

Rune knelt at her level. He took her hand in his huge ones.

"I.. I don't have any idea how your brother died, trust me,"

"Trust you?"

He took a deep breath

"I really didn't kill your brother. But if you think your brother's death is a murder then I can help you to give him justice. I...I will find the culprit." He promised.

Arshi chuckled sadly, and she freed her hand from his hold.

"Who are you fooling? Please...I beg you to stop your acting. Don't you get tired of doing all these?"

She pointed her finger at Rune and placed it on his left side chest. She kept stroking him.

"You killed my brother. You killed him for your own benefit. You.are.a.murderer"

She got up and laid on her bed.

Rune remained as he was. He wanted to console her, but she thinks he's the murderer behind her brother's death.

He looked up at Arshi, whose back faced him.

"I didn't kill your brother,I promise. I will find the culprit behind your brother's death. But please don't blame me for this...I am innocent."

He got up and switched off the light.

Around midnight,

Rune slowly walked out of the room and stood at the corridor. He dialed a call to Dominic, who was staying in a hotel.

"My wife's brother is dead. She thinks i am behind his death."  He said slowly.

"But when did you do it, boss?" Dominic said.

"I didn't, but I believe there is someone behind his death. I want you to check on his office and talk to the commissioner. Find out what happened on that day and update me asap"

The night is soft and gentle. The sounds of jhingurs filled the air.

He came into the room and saw his wife sleeping. Her face glimmering as the moonlight falls on her.

He was drowned in her beauty. He was so attracted towards her at that moment, like she's his gravity. He felt a pull towards her, a pull of love.

He wanted to touch her, cuddle her, kiss her softly. For once, he wanted to love her, but his father's face floated in front of him while his words rang in his ear.

He sighed and laid beside her. He gently placed his hand on her and drifted to sleep.

At this moment, he wanted to comfort her in his arms. This was the very first time when Rune felt an ache in his heart when he saw her crying for her dead brother. For her,  he could now bring the world to an end until the culprit died.

🎶Manchala, manchala teri or~
Manchala, manchala teri or~
Khamoshiyon ki suraton mein~
Dhoonde tera shor~
Dhunde tera shor~
Man chala, man chala teri or~
Man chala, man chala teri or~🎶

* This song does not belong to me*

              ______________________________