XXVII

As she was packing her bags, a knock came at her door, stopping her mind from spiralling again. "Come in," she exhaled once she zipped up her bag. She wasn't bringing much, just the essentials. She didn't know how long she would be there. What if her sister didn't want her there? What if her mom was too sick to stay there and needed to go back to the city for better medical care? Plus, she couldn't leave everything here, they still needed to find a good lead on Hydra's new super soldiers, and they needed her. Steve needed her. James needed her. The mission was far from over.

"You ready?" Tony said, stopping at the doorstep. She just nodded, her mind again racing with a thousand thoughts.

"Listen, you tell me, but I think it's best if none of the soldiers come with us," he paused, looking for a response in her face, but she just nodded again, her expression distant. "I'll be downstairs," and he left, giving her the space she needed to gather herself.

As she entered the backyard, Steve stood up from the chair and grabbed her bag, accompanying her to the jet waiting for them. He placed the bag inside the aircraft with care and came out again, one arm wrapping around her back while the other gently embraced her head, resting it against his torso, offering her silent comfort.

"If you change your mind and want me there, just call, okay?" he said softly. She nodded, her face almost expressionless, a mask she had perfected over the years. His hand cupped her cheek, and she forced a slight smile to reassure him. "It's going to be okay, Iris," he whispered, planting a tender kiss on her soft, pale lips and hugging her once again as if trying to transfer some of his calm and reassurance to her.

Iris's gaze shot up to the balcony of the kitchen on the first floor. Bucky was standing there, his hands gripping the railing, his unwavering gaze fixed on them. His icy blue eyes were unsettling her, making the earth beneath her feel unsteady, while Steve's strong arms held her securely, grounding her in this moment of uncertainty.

"I set in the coordinates and checked the security panel. We're ready to go," Sam intervened from inside the jet, his voice breaking through her thoughts as Stark took a seat. Steve's arms slowly freed Iris, and he gave her a gentle nod as she disappeared when the tailgate closed. She took a deep breath, realizing this was just the beginning of another journey, both physically and emotionally. As the jet prepared for takeoff, she hoped she would find the strength to face whatever awaited her.

Sam approached her, breaking her reverie. "Hey, Iris," he said softly, taking a seat beside her. "Mind if I ask you something?"

Iris turned to him, her eyes reflecting a mixture of determination and vulnerability, she nodded.

"Since how long haven't you seen your family?" he asked, his tone gentle.

Iris sighed, her gaze drifting back to the window. "It's been a while," she admitted. "Every once in a while, I would come to Chicago and watch them from a distance, but they didn't know I was there."

Sam nodded, listening "That must have been tough, not being able to be with them."

"It was," Iris replied, her voice tinged with sadness. "But it was the only way to keep them safe. I know my sister graduated in psychology almost two years ago and my mother continued working as a lawyer for the city. I kept tabs on them, made sure they were okay, but I couldn't risk getting too close."

Sam squeezed her shoulder gently, trying to offer some reassurance. "You did what you thought was best, Iris. And sometimes, that's all we can do."

"I know," Iris said, her voice firm. "I'll always make sure they're safe." She paused, her gaze distant. "But I'm scared. If I were Claire, I would be mad as hell," she chuckled, though the sound was tinged with nervousness.