Chapter 9

The sound of a sharp scream in the distance startled Amelia into consciousness, and when she opened her eyes, she furrowed her brow to see Marco shielding her upper half with his body. She shifted from underneath him, and when she looked over his shoulder, she was shocked to see two men with rifles aimed right at them. They wore potato sacks on their heads to cover their faces.

"Don't move," one of the masked men said. "Grab their 3D Maneuver Gear. Hurry."

"What will you do with them?" She heard Eren ask from afar. Her eyes were concentrated on the man holding the gun in her face.

"There are certain people that will pay handsomely for these," his revelation instantly made her think of her mother, and her hands tightened into fists. "You can't beat the Titans anyway, so what's wrong with taking useless equipment?"

Amelia's head jolted toward Eren as he jumped from the ground to try and disarm the gang's presumed leader, and quickly everyone's rifles were on Eren.

"Everyone, now!" He shouted while he struggled.

Amelia felt her heart begin to race, and without a second thought, she was sliding her way out from underneath Marco and tackling the man that stood in front of her. Jean had also sprung into action in an attempt to get away, and Eren was quickly thrown to the ground. The sound of one of the rifles going off made Amelia's ears ring, and finally she succeeded in disarming the thief she had pounced on.

She was back on her feet in a flash with the rifle aimed at the first thug she saw, and she froze immediately when he shoved his gun into Marco's face whilst taking him by a fistful of his hair. He winced, but remained still with his eyes on Amelia.

"Make one move and your boyfriend dies," he threatened, tone dark and serious. "Drop it."

Amelia clicked her tongue as she clenched her teeth, grip tightening as she fought herself on what to do. Her odds were bad. It was her against six armed grown men, and her friends were their hostages. She knew she'd get at least one of them killed if she were to act now.

She cursed under her breath as she did what she was told, but she did not bend under the predatory stare of the man in front of her. She couldn't see his face, only the soulless dark husks the eyeholes in his mask created. She wondered what his face looked like.

"Get on your knees." He demanded. His voice was slightly nasally.

Amelia took a step toward him, being unable to refrain from challenging him. "Bite me."

A thick tension settled among them when her words hit the air, and the thug let out an amused laugh before striking her in the face with the butt of his rifle.

Her head flung to the right and she caught herself on one knee. Despite her knelt position, she still held herself strongly. She didn't whimper or make a sound, and looked directly at the man's mask when he snatched her up by her cravat.

"Maybe we should take this one, too," he spoke tauntingly. Amelia could feel blood trickling from her nose and his breath on her face. "Sell her to someone who'll teach her a thing or two."

"No, we got what we came for," his boss disagreed. "Now, you better think twice about moving again. Don't make a sound."

Amelia smirked with bloody teeth as the man dropped her, and she tracked him with her eyes as he walked a few steps away. Her gaze fell down to Eren on the ground when he passed him, and up to Jean, who still tensely stood with his back facing the rest of them. There was a bloody cut on his cheek where the bullet grazed him. She could barely wrap her head around the fact that moments ago she was sleeping happily beside Marco, she never imagined something like this happening on their mission. She felt naive for ever thinking such a thing.