T H I R T Y T W O

The process was slow, but Naeun was returning to normal. It was hard, of course. The trauma never disappeared. But she returned to her university classes and seemed much livelier than before. 

Naeun walked through town, glancing around for any 'HIRING' posters. She desperately needed a job, since student loans weren't going to pay themselves.  She took pictures of a few she found, mentally reminding herself to call them later.

"Baby!" She heard a familiar voice calling out to her. Turning around, she saw Jisung running up to her with the widest smile on his face.

He ran to her, flinging his arms around her. But this time, Naeun didn't pull away. She hugged him back. Which warmed Jisung's heart further.

"What are you doing here?" He asked as they pulled away. 

"Looking around for anyone hiring," she sighed. "I need a job."

"You can always work as a front desk receptionist at the mechanic shop Chenle works at. All you would really have to do it greet customers, answer phone calls, and schedule appointments and shit."

"Really? Would they hire me?"

"I mean, Chenle worked there so obviously he can put in a word for you and stuff," Jisung shugged.

"I'll go check it out later," Naeun said, stretching her arms. "I'm exhausted from walking around all day."

"I was just about to go eat lunch, want to come with me?" He asked, tugging on her finger. Naeun agreed, because she was starving but also just because she wanted to spend more time with him.

They walked down the path, engaging in lighthearted conversation during the way. It was the most lifted Naeun had felt in weeks.

Jisung had a firm grip on her hand as they walked, which Naeun enjoyed more than she'd liked to admit. It was comforting, feeling his large hand holding hers.

They arrived at a Vietnamese restaurant which was down the block. Jisung held the door open and let the girl inside before following behind her. The two sat at a table in the corner, the view of the bustling city out of the window.

"I've never had Vietnamese food before," Naeun said as she flipped through the menu on the table curiously.

"Really?" He chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll tell you all of the best options."

A waitress came to the table and Jisung ordered. He ordered for Naeun as well since she didn't have much knowledge of the food. The waitress jotted their orders down, giving them a smile before walking away.

He turned his attention back to the girl in front of her, fingers tracing lazy patterns on the back of her hand.

"I'm just realizing that I've known you for over seven months yet we've never shared a proper meal together."

"Yeah we have," she replied.

"Yeah, but that was with Chenle and Juri. This time it's just us."

"Speaking of those two, where even are they? I haven't heard from Juri all day," Naeun said, subconsciously looking on her phone just in case the girl messaged him.

"I haven't heard from Chenle either," Jisung shrugged. "He's probably at work, and Juri's probably ogling over him fixing a car or something."

"Sounds like something she would do."

Their food arrived twenty minutes later. Jisung explained the dish to her and what kind of ingredients were inside. Naeun picked up her chopsticks and tasted it, a smile instantly forming on her lips.

"It tastes really good, you know what you're talking about," she chuckled, taking another bite.

The pair ate their meal together, talking about things ranging from how their day was going to a debate over milk and cereal.

"Do you actually put the cereal in first?" Naeun scoffed. "That just gives you soggy cereal."

"It makes the cereal float better, putting the milk first just makes it all flat," he said right back.   

"Whatever, I'll always be a 'milk first' person. But it's you so I'll tolerate it."

Jisung smiled cheekily, leaning closer. "If I didn't know any better I would you're finally starting to warm up to me. Or maybe it's even more than that."

"Yah, finish eating your food!"

Jisung paid for the meal (even though Naeun insisted that they split it) and the two were on their way. The sun was already starting to dip in the sky, casting a warm, golden glow over their faces. He glanced over at the girl beside him, a fond look on his face as he took in her gentle features.

The more time he spent with her, the deeper he found himself falling.