Chapter 25: Gratitude

I was having visions of ten million ways to die

I was having visions of ten people that might cry

I forgot the path I'm on, forgot to sing my song

So karma paid

Now, no righteous hand will hold the stories I have told

So I will say

That gratitude cuts through my veins

I hold my hand up and I say

That gratitude cuts through my veins

I hold my hand up and I'm awake

- "Gratitude," by Idles

_____________________________________________

Lettie

Pain exploded through my skull as I hit the floor, my vision blurred from the force of the impact. I tried to push myself up, but my limbs felt heavy and uncooperative. I don't think I was down for long, but it felt like hours versus seconds. I could hear the sound of a struggle nearby, and when I managed to lift my head, I saw Simon grappling with a man in a mask.

I blinked, trying to clear the fog from my mind, and shouted at the masked man. My voice was weak, but it was enough to get his attention. "Hey! Stop!"

I stumbled to my feet, still disoriented, and launched myself at the man, hoping to distract him from Simon. I wasn't thinking, but I didn't want to back down or be weak like I had felt before. He was solid and quick, easily tossing me aside. I landed hard, gasping for breath. Desperation fueled my movements as I spotted my sewing shears nearby. I grabbed them and lunged at the man, stabbing him in the leg.

He howled in pain, kicking me back in the mouth with his other leg. I watched in horror as he pulled the scissors from his calf, blood seeping through his pants and dripping onto the floor.

I watched, paralyzed, as Simon tried to seize the opportunity and the intruder's distraction to tackle him, but the man was too fast. In a blur of motion, the masked man stabbed Simon in the chest. I screamed as Simon collapsed on the ground. The man glanced around the room before grabbing my bag and a few other items then fled out the backdoor.

"Simon!" I sobbed, crawling to him. He was bleeding heavily, his breathing ragged. I was hysterical, tears streaming down my face as I pressed my hands to the wound, trying to stem the bleeding. "Simon, please!"

I forced myself to get up, grabbing a towel from the bathroom and the shop phone. I pressed the towel to Simon's wound, his blood soaking through almost immediately. With shaking hands, I dialed 999, my voice trembling as I explained the situation to the operator.

I did my best to keep Simon awake, talking to him and trying to keep him focused on my voice. His eyes fluttered, and his breaths were shallow gasps, but he held on.

The ambulance arrived quickly, with Tom and Callum rushing in right behind them. They got Simon onto a stretcher and into the ambulance while another medic checked me over. I was dizzy and in pain, but I couldn't take my eyes off Simon.

"I need to go with him!" I shouted at Tom as he tried to keep me with the medic.

"Lettie, we need to take care of you too; make sure you're okay."