Chapter 18: Fairlies

Baby, do you miss the days before
Hope knocked on your door?
But you went and fell in love
And into you love fell
And it made you feel unwell
Oh well

- "Fairlies," by Grian Chatten

_____________________________________________

"Change of plans. I'll meet you at Niamh's. Fitting is running long." Lettie's text felt weird. We had been texting about going to her sisters this evening to hang out. She had even said the fitting was going smoothly, and then this abrupt text came in. I hoped everything was fine and she could wrap the fitting soon.

When I got her text, I was dressed and ready to head over to Lettie's shop to pick her up so we could go to her sister's together. Niamh wanted to have us over since I'd be leaving soon. I liked her sister a lot. Niamh and Kiara have become very important to me now, too.

I grabbed the bottles of wine we had picked up to bring, locked up the flat, and caught a cab over to Niamh's.

When I arrived at Niamh's place, I was greeted by the familiar sound of laughter and music drifting from inside. I knocked on her door, and Niamh opened the door.

"Al, hi!" She said as she gestured for me to come in. I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"It's just Landon and me for now. Kiara ran out to grab some more ice. Can I get you something to drink?" Niamh said rapid fire.

"This wine is for you, and I'll have whatever you're having," I smiled at her. Niamh made me feel comfortable and included.

"Landon, can you pour Al a whisky?" Niamh called into the kitchen. She took the wine from me and put it on her buffet table. "Thank you for this," She smiled about the wine.

"Hi, Landon!" I called into the kitchen. Landon and I hadn't spent a lot of time together, but he seemed very sweet. He was a bit reserved, but he warmed up. I related to his demeanor.

"Alex! I got your whisky coming out!" Landon emerged, handed me my drink, and I gave him a quick hug.

"Thanks, man. How you been?" I asked as we stood in the living room.

"Good. We just did a bunch of work for a movie that's filming here...Something with Tom Hanks. Kiara would know more, but that was super fun." Landon sipped his whiskey. "Lettie said the new album is amazing."

"She did?" I laughed. I had played some for her last week when we got the absolute final mixes. I was nervous for her to listen to them. It felt nice that she was telling people how much she loved what we did hear; it validated she wasn't just telling me because we were dating.

"Was she not supposed to tell us she heard it?" Landon looked panicked as he looked between me and Niamh.

"I'm only going to have to sue her now. Take her business and her flat," I joked.

"I hear that is great for new relationships," Niamh deadpanned; she could be so dry and dark with her humor and delivery; I loved it. Lettie could be the same. "If you can get through your partner suing you and ruining your life, you can get through anything."

"That's the title of our new album, actually."

"Rolls off the tongue," Niamh laughed.

"Are all the songs about your ex?" Landon asked. "Isn't that where most music comes from?" He shrugged.

"Not this one... at least not totally," I felt tense suddenly being questioned about my lyrics by Lettie's friend and sister.

"Any about Lettie?" Niamh asked casually, setting out a charcuterie board.