🎋Chapter 6【Mom?】

Y/N watches curiously as Tamayo wipes a spot on her arm with disinfectant and takes an empty syringe from a tray.

"This is going to hurt just a bit, Y/N," she tells the child. "Like an insect bite."

Y/N nods, squeezing her eyes shut and turning away slightly.

The needle slips into her arm, and Tamayo pulls gently on the plunger.

A couple of seconds later, Y/N feels a hand patting her head. "It's done, you can open your eyes now."

Y/N flicks her ear once and tilts her head slightly, observing the woman who is filling a vial with her blood.

A memory of a different yet familiar person surfaces in her mind.

----------

Barely had Tamayo put her medical equipment away than she felt someone tugging at her sleeve gently.

"Mom..."

Tamayo's eyes widen in shock.

"Wh... what...?"

"Mom."

Tamayo turns and sees the demon child holding her sleeve, looking at her right in the eyes.

"Mom," she repeats. "Mom."

Tamayo tears up almost immediately.

She has long since forgotten the faces and voices of her children, but what she would never forget was the joy of being called "Mom" for the very first time.

Y/N watches as tears trickle down Tamayo's face. She doesn't seem to have noticed that she's crying.

The child reaches out and wraps her arms around Tamayo's neck, slowly and gently pulling her into a hug.

"Mama... don't cry."

Tamayo returns the hug and begins to sob uncontrollably.

"I'm here... Mom is right here..." she mumbles.

"Lady Tamayo!"

Y/N turns to face the door of the room. Yushiro is standing in the doorway and glaring at her. "What did you -"

Y/N places her index finger in front of her lips. "Shhh... Iguro-san..." she whispers. "Mama... needs some time." She pats Tamayo's back.

Yushiro sighs. "Alright, but mind you - if you ever make Lady Tamayo cry again, you'll have to leave. And," he adds, "I'm NOT 'Iguro-san'!"

----------

Y/N doesn't know how long they have been hugging.

All she cares about at the moment is that Tamayo looked like she felt better after a good, long cry.

"I'm sorry... that's unbecoming of me."

Y/N pats Tamayo's face with her sleeve, wiping her tears away.

"Mom... don't need to feel sorry."

"Alright... Yushiro and I have to go out now, Y/N," Tamayo says. "We're going to buy some medical supplies. Do you want to come?"

Y/N blinks, then shakes her head.

"Okay. Stay in the house, alright? Don't go outside."

A quick nod.

"Good girl." Tamayo pats Y/N's head.

----------

Y/N lies on her side on the floor, stroking Chachamaru's fur.

Chachamaru purrs in content.

"Kaburamaru..." Y/N mumbles.

The calico cat looks at her and meows.

"Kaburamaru."

Y/N's ears prick up as she hears something.

The creak of a wooden door and the barely noticeable squeal of hinges.

She grabs the cat and dives into a corner, where she could be hidden from view by a cupboard.

"Kaburamaru... shh. Danger," she hisses. Chachamaru tilts his head, looking at her blankly.

"Don't go outside."

"... Meow?"

"Shhh...!"

Chachamaru squirms out of Y/N's hold and heads towards the door.

"Y/N?"

The child squeezes herself back into the corner.

----------

Tamayo stands in the doorway. She could see Chachamaru standing in front of her, meowing happily. There seemed to be no one else in the room.

Scratch that.

Tamayo smiles to herself as she spots a fluffy tail peeking out of the space between the cupboard and the corner.

"It's just me, little fox," she says softly, approaching the tail.

Carefully, Y/N moves from her hiding spot and peeks out.

"Mom!" she quickly scrambles out of the corner and runs towards Tamayo, stopping in front of her and tilting her head upwards to look at the woman.

"Mom...is back."

"Y/N, Yushiro will bring some people home soon," Tamayo says. "Don't attack them, alright?"

Y/N nods her head.

"Okay. I have to look after someone right now, stay here, alright?"

"...Y/N go with Mom."

"You have to stay here." Tamayo puts her hands on Y/N's shoulders.

"...won't attack."

"You can't approach her, it's too risky."

"...follow."

Tamayo sighs. "You are one stubborn child." A small smile tugs at the corner of her lips. "Let's get you something to eat first, alright? Maybe you won't want to attack when you're full."

Tamayo leaves, then returns with a small packet of blood.

"You can drink this," she says, holding it out for the child to take.

Y/N sniffs at the packet and steps backward, squinting, brows furrowing in what Tamayo assumed was disgust.

"...bad."

"Pardon?"

"Smell bad...not dinner."

"You don't like this?"

"Not dinner."

"How astonishing...you don't even drink human blood. Do you want anything else?"

"Not hungry. Dinner."

"Okay. I guess you can follow me," Tamayo says. "Promise me that you won't attack anyone."

Y/N nods eagerly, reaching out and holding Tamayo's hand as the woman leads her to another room.