5

With time, the group of six easily grew accustomed to one another. They walked in sync to unknown places around the neighborhood in search of something fun to do underneath the summer sun. Despite their differences, it wouldn't be hard for them to think of something together. By a unanimous vote, the group settled on the local fair.

"Hey, Tanjiro," an unidentified voice, what sounded to be a woman, suddenly chimed in.

Turning towards the voice, Tanjiro's eyes met a young girl with a black ponytail held up by a delicate butterfly claw clip. Her smile was warm and genuine, radiating a sense of kindness. What stood out the most were her enormous purple irises, which seemed to resemble that of an insect.

"Oh, hi Kanao," Tanjiro said, smiling widely.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to the fair with my new friends," Tanjiro explained, motioning to Muichiro and Genya. "It was just going to be me, Inosuke, and Zenitsu, but then these two came along, and they were really nice."

Kanao stared Muichiro and Genya up and down, struggling to pinpoint them to Kimetsu High. Even if Genya never came to recognition, she'd soon come to the conclusion that she knew Muichiro from track.

"That sounds fun," she said with a rhythmic clap. "I was actually heading to your house right now. Your sister and I are planning a girl's day."

"Ouuu, well, in that case," Tanjiro began, raising his soccer ball. "Could you return this? You can place it on my bed. I wouldn't want to bring it where I could easily lose it."

Kanao slowly nodded, reaching for the ball in Tanjiro's grasp. "Of course," she said, grabbing it herself and beginning to turn for home. "Well, you guys have fun!"

It didn't take long for the group to arrive at the fair. From the entrance, they were greeted by a kaleidoscope of colors and sounds. Brightly lit stalls lined the pathways, each adorned with vibrant banners and enticing aromas of various foods wafting through the air. The laughter and chatter of families and friends mixed with the thrilling screams from nearby rides, creating a lively, infectious energy. The towering Ferris wheel loomed in the distance, its lights twinkling against the evening sky, promising a breathtaking view of the entire fairground.

Genya couldn't recall the last time he'd been to a place so lively. Considering the dull environment he grew up in, experiencing any kind of fun was a rarity. He came to realize he was unfamiliar with the lifestyle and internally found himself hoping for a tourist to show him the ropes. Muichiro was quick to take on the job.

"Genya, you alright?" He asked, immediately noticing how anxious Genya was in response to the intimidating environment. "You look uneasy."

"Nah, I'm alright," Genya lied, placing his hands in his pockets nonchalantly.

Inosuke immediately burst into laughter upon noticing the quiver in the taller ones voice.

"Ahah! Even Zenitsu looks chiller than you, and that's saying something!" He yelled rather obnoxiously, deriving sudden stares from nearby individuals.

"Hey, why do I have to be some sort of comparison?" Zenitsu asked, crossing his arms in offense.

"Don't try to put up a tough front because of—"

"Guys, that's enough. Not here," Tanjiro interrupted, clearly embarrassed. "I'm sure Genya's just a little overwhelmed. He'll grow accustomed by the time he's inside. Isn't that right?" He looked at Genya for confirmation, who shyly looked away.

"Yeah..."

After the group paid for their tickets, they passed through the gates into the bustling fairground. The dazzling lights and boisterous atmosphere engulfed them immediately. Genya's unease was palpable, his eyes darting around as he tried to take in everything at once.