3

Muichiro was on his hands and knees, scrubbing the floor with a determined focus. Dust motes danced in the morning light, streaming through the window as he methodically cleaned every corner of his room. The air smelled faintly of lemon cleaner, and a small pile of neatly folded laundry sat on his bed.

A sudden knock on the door broke his concentration. "Come in," Muichiro called out, not looking up from his task.

The door creaked open, and Genya stepped inside. He briefly sniffed, immediately taking note of the pleasing scent creeping up to his nose. It certainly didn't smell like that last night.

"Morning, Muichiro. Sanemi's making toast for breakfast. He said you should come down."

Muichiro glanced up, a slight smile on his face. "I'm in the middle of cleaning. Can you tell him I'll be down later?"

Genya shook his head, a small chuckle escaping his lips. "He's not even finished making breakfast yet. Want some help?"

Muichiro hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "Sure, I could use an extra hand."

As Genya shut the door behind him, he couldn't help but notice just how sparkling it was. The scenery he was taking in was a significant contrast of the one from yesterday night. The floor was smooth as he walked on it with his slides, almost shiny, the sun rays from the window helping to cast a firm glow. Every wall was cleared to the touch, complimenting his bed that faced the burgundy closet. Even his setup was pristine, keyboards, surfaces, and corners all kissed by the sun.

Genya rolled up his sleeves and grabbed a spare cloth from the nearby table. As they worked side by side, the silence between them was comfortable. Although it was later accompanied by Muichiro's rhythmic hums and Genya's smooth whistling.

"So," Genya began, breaking the silence. "Do you always deep clean your room this early in the morning?"

Muichiro shrugged, his focus still on the spot he was scrubbing. "Not always. I just felt like it needed a good clean today."

Genya laughed softly. "I can't remember the last time I did this much cleaning. Sanemi would probably cringe if he saw me doing this."

Muichiro smirked, glancing at Genya. "Maybe you should surprise him sometime. Show him you can clean up nicely, too."

Genya's face reddened slightly. "Maybe I will. But don’t hold your breath."

As they continued cleaning, their movements brought them closer together. Genya dusted off the window sill beside the nighstand Muichiro polished, one hand on his hip, the other on the brush. Muichiro stuck out his tongue in concentration, meticulously cleaning out the creases of the cupboard knob. Everything had to be precise.

"Do you know if my dad is awake yet?" Muichiro suddenly asked, disposing of the napkin in his grasp.

Genya nodded with a firm grunt.

"Yeah, he left just a few moments ago, actually," he explained rather hastily. "Said he'll be out in the forest for some wood."

"Good. He sometimes sleeps past his alarm, so waking up after him somewhat scares me."

Genya stifled a laugh, shaking his head altogether as he imagined the possibility. It wasn't hard for him to believe that the man was a slacker. He seemed like such, especially when considering he cared for the twins all by himself every day. With the additional weight of Genya and Sanemi on his shoulders, there was no telling how much harder his life was bound to get that summer.

Shrugging off the thought, Genya began to wrap up his dusting. He abandoned the duster, placing it on the window sill before reaching for the cloth on the nightstand. Just as his fingers touched the cloth, he felt another set of fingers brush against his own. Startled and embarrassed, he looked up to find Muichiro staring back at him, also reaching for the cloth. A blush spread across Genya's cheeks as he swiftly retracted his hand, his heart racing from the unexpected contact.