13

In a very awkward silence, Rengoku led Muichiro in the direction of his father's minivan, where Sanemi waited patiently. A blatant space, with its vast dimensions, grew comfortably around the two, allowing them to concentrate on the aimlessness of the dark. The moon was visible, clear as a summer's day, and glistening upon a plethora of stars. Still, Rengoku would walk with maximum integrity, whereas a morose Muichiro gradually followed behind.

"Mui!" Genya exclaimed, coming from a darkness Muichiro wasn't aware existed. "There you are. I got so worried, I was up and down looking for you."

Slowly, Muichiro looked up to perceive the taller one, somewhat flattered by his concern.

"R... really?" He asked, the nauseous feeling of getting taken advantage of still lingering. Genya was the comfort he discovered was necessary for him at that moment.

"Yeah, your dad would've killed me," Genya explained, immediately lowering any semblance of a smile Muichiro might've had on his lips. "I don't know why he made me responsible."

"Of course..." Muichiro sighed, shoving past Genya to get to the minivan behind him.

The taller one furrowed his eyebrows, completely oblivious to his intolerable choice of words. Even Rengoku, watching from a distance as he finally released Muichiro, realized Genya's mistake before he would. Teenagers were confusing, some more than others, but most as equal as the rest. The feeling was contagious.

"Wait, Muichiro," Genya addressed, immediately clutching onto the smaller one's shoulder and flipping him around so that they were face-to-face. "Your eyes..." he gently cupped Muichiro's cheeks, feeling the warmth against his hand as he instinctively blushed.

Genya slowly shook his head, the bubbling of his thoughts coming to its peak. As Muichiro stared back at him, guilt in his expression shown vividly, a tussled strand of hair, and maybe a hitch to perceive, Genya would come to notice the problem. In the very outskirts of his eye, the surrounding barrier, a sclera filled with red rivers, except much redder than usual, and the dullness of the eye to compliment it all pursued confidently. The observation took Genya by surprise. He almost couldn't believe it.

With a sigh, he gradually removed his palms from Muichiro's cheeks, his tolerance lingering to a maximum.

"How long have you been vaping?" Genya asked, a blatant worry in his tone as he clenched his jaw. The hurt and pain Muichiro had to have been going through to partake in such acts concerned him. He wanted deeply for that to not be the case.

"No, it's not routine," Muichiro explained, shoving his hands into the kangaroo pocket of his sweatshirt. "I just did it today... I was stressed."

Genya bit his bottom lip, a flicker of guilt tightening in his chest as memories replayed in his mind. His gaze faltered, lost in thoughts too private for anyone else to notice, yet the smaller figure beside him watched intently, sensing the weight of unspoken emotions.

Narrowing his glare, Genya concentratingly sucked on his teeth before opening his mouth to speak once again.

"Stressed about what?" Before Muichiro could answer, which was clear to be his next action considering how his mouth immediately flew agape, Genya would continue in his place. "About the bonfire? Listen, Muichiro, we all love and care about you. Nobodies worried about your sexuality, not even your brother. He told me he knew all along and anticipated this day. I can't speak for the others, but there's no way I'd hate you for something you can't control. I'll always love you..." he rambled, mumbling the last part in a blatant hesitation.

What Genya received in response was short of proper talking. He felt the physical pressure, the intimate exposure, and a lingering sensation of an embrace. The feeling was noteworthy, a memory worth reliving for as long as it was possible. For as long as Muichiro was still by his side. It was a hug like no other; a hug he wasn't hesitant to reciprocate as he was every other time. This time, he was willing, as long as it guaranteed Muichiro's sense of safety. Without a doubt, Muichiro felt more safe around Genya at this moment than he ever would around anyone else.