16

By the time the two had completed getting arranged, they were already outside, basking in the warm rays of the sun as it deeply penetrated their skin. The sky was bright, filled with a pristine potential of longevity as they walked toward the neighborhood. From afar, they could perceive the individuals, both young and old, scattered around the landscape of paved roads and sidewalks.

Finally stepping onto the concrete, Muichiro would immediately notice the Kamaboko Trio as they walked back from the nearest park. Instinctively, he pointed in their direction, looking up at Genya, who stood closely behind him; the position his mother told him to take when walking with someone he wished to protect. Of course, it was daylight, and abductors were never an issue at this side of town when the sun was up, but Genya still found it necessary to cuddle up Muichiro like the last ember in a fading fire.

"It's them," Muichiro said as he pointed, his mind now reflecting on the days prior when they'd attempted to cheer him up. As of late, he was beginning to feel better regarding the entire situation, despite his father's fixation on it, and he wanted to pay them back for their determination. "Let's go say hi."

Genya nodded, arching both eyebrows in intrigue as he stared down at the smaller one. He'd never really begun to grasp how tall he'd truly grown the last two summers until now. It was evident in the way he could primarily see Muichiro's scalp, occupied with thick patches of smooth hair that knelt to his back. Of course, that wasn't the case for him a while back, and the idea of it now was somewhat amusing for him as he cheekily grinned. Muichiro was actually exceptionally short.

"Oh, hey Muichiro!" Tanjiro greeted as he finally took note of Genya and Muichiro's relaxed approach. "What've you been up to?"

Muichiro shrugged, fidgeting with the small patch of peeling skin from a sunburn on his arm he received a few days ago. "Nothing much. 'Just been chilling with Genya," he explained.

"Yeah, we just wanted to get some fresh air," Genya added, subconsciously scooting closer to Muichiro, the lingering aroma of his lavender hair, alluring.

Zenitsu abruptly shook his head, the wisps of his polygonal hair moving along to the swish. "Nope. Nothing about this air is fresh. I've been getting sunburns all this week!"

"And yet you're still outside..." Genya mumbled, placing both hands in the pockets of his shorts.

Muichiro chuckled, playfully hitting the side of Genya's arm, although blushing immediately after realizing the physical contact he enacted. Even then, it was an inevitable challenge to keep up with his feelings. Especially now that he was fully aware of what exactly they were meant to entail.

"Uhm, just wear sunscreen?" Muichiro suggested, a subtle smile still somewhat lingering on his lips.

"You're one to talk!" The blonde-haired boy retorted in offense. "You have a sunburn, too."

Instinctively, Muichiro looked down to face the subtle sunburn on his arm he was currently fidgeting with. He bit his lip, the persistence of the redness making him irk.

"Well, I'm really pale so... it's kind of inevitable."

"Excuses," was all Zenitsu could say as he immediately turned away, no longer able to put up with the two, who unknowingly tag-teamed him.

"We were going to head over to the mall that just opened and check it out. You guys should come."

Muichiro folded his lips as he recalled the new establishment being constructed someplace downtown. He didn't go there often due to the lack of events and activities that partook, but whenever he did, he always managed to find a new restaurant or shop around. That side of town was noticeably innovative.