Promise - Changmin (pt.3)

"Fuck...where's this fucking room...goddammit."

Changbin held his ear to every door, listening for any noise or rustling of clothing.

It was nearly pitch dark on this level of the house and Changbin had no desire to bang into a wall and wake up all the other members to his scheme.

The first part of his plan had worked out pretty well for him. Stealing the key to the room from Hyunjin wasn't a problem at all because although Hyunjin was all alert and icy cold during the day, he always sleeps like a log when the sun falls. Changbin had to be extremely noisy to wake up Hyunjin.

None of the other members were particularly heavy sleepers but he couldn't depend on them not being light sleepers. So, armed in fluffy slippers, Changbin pressed his ear to the last door. From inside, there was a hint of ragged breathing and uneven sniffles. 

Changbin prayed the door wouldn't creak and inserted the key and twisted. He squeezed his eyes shut and pushed the door open. The guy inside yelped, making Changbin open his eyes. He took in the state of the room and immediately recoiled. 

There was dust covering almost every inch of the room and the guy was huddled at the wall opposite the door, eyes wide and shuddering. "Please- please don't k-kill me...I beg of..y-you." His nose was red and running, eyes puffed up and certainly sore.

Changbin looked out in the corridor and eyed every shadow. When he determined it safe, he ducked into the room and whispered, "It's alright. I'm not going to...hurt you. My members would so I-" Changbin inhaled sharply, imagining the backlash he would receive if the members found out-, "I need to get you out of here..they're not right in the head. Somewhere in there...there is s-some good but- okay never mind I'm rambling," He eyed the stranger up and down, "they didn't restrain you?"

"No..."

"What's your name? I'm Changbin."

The stranger hugged his body and rubbed his nose, "Seungmin..." He said it so softly that Changbin almost thought he'd imagined the reply.

Changbin bent down and looked back at the empty doorway, "Okay..uhm Seungmin, look, we have to leave immediately. I swear I'm trying to he—"

Seungmin got to his feet and sniffed. He looked close to sneezing. Now that he got up, Changbin noted that there were dry tear tracks running down his cheeks and his reddened eyes that would've scared the shit out of Changbin if he hadn't known the reason for it.

Changbin breathed, "Do you need help..walking?"

"I– I lost some feeling in them but...I think I can walk," Seungmin mumbled and jerkily walked to the door. Changbin lingered behind him and made sure he was ready if Seungmin stumbled. A fall would be loud enough to travel throughout the house and who knew whether Chan was even asleep yet.

"Wait." Changbin stopped Seungmin, clutching his shoulder with his hand. The other flinched slightly under the touch but complied. Changbin removed his fluffy slippers and got Seungmin in them. He hoped that the slippers would soften the sound of Seungmin's uneven gait.

Slowly and quietly, the pair walked through the house, wincing and flinching at every sound and shadow movement. At some point, Changbin shuddered as he hallucinated the sound of leaves of the trees bristling in the wind as Hyunjin's soft, eerie laughter.

Seungmin was shivering and leaning on Changbin for support as they walked. He was shrinking in on himself and he became significantly smaller beside Changbin. Something gripped Changbin's heart. Seungmin was just a stranger, he didn't deserve this mind torture and captivity.

Jeongin's cruelty and the rest of the members' blind loyalty were getting on his nerves. What had Hyunjin said, twisted so well, that Changbin actually believed they had an ounce of humanity within them? 

Changbin let his hand fall from Seungmin's shoulder and gently circled his hand around Seungmin's arm. The skin felt chilly to the touch, way too cold to be normal. Changbin whispered while looking forward, "Are you cold?"

Seungmin either didn't hear or chose not to reply but Changbin was too unnerved by the silence of the house to even push for an answer. When they got to the door, Changbin mouth dropped open. He'd forgotten to lock the captivity room. 

He ushered Seungmin out of the front door and said firmly, "Don't look back. No need to thank me. It's only right I helped you. Now, please go. I need to go lock up that room. Run."

Seungmin's lower lips trembled and tears sprang to his eyes, "Thank you...I will remem– remember you.." He turned and fled. When he was in the far distance, Changbin noticed that he was still wearing his fluffy slippers. A smile took over Changbin's frown.

When he snapped out of his trance, he backtracked as quietly as he could. But going barefooted meant that a simple mistake would cost him dearly. Thankfully, he made none. When he reached the room, the door was shut.

Changbin's breath caught in his throat. Reckless, he decided to break down the door and confront the member. Since he was in hot water, he might as well take one of them down with him. 

Shoulder against wood, he crashed it open. If the other members were asleep, they would've been awoken by this. As the door crashed down and dust was kicked up, Changbin observed the empty room. The window to his left was broken, the shards nowhere to be seen. What the hell? It looked like...Seungmin had escaped of his own accord. But no, he had just escorted the boy himself to the front door. So then why...

The door opposite of the captivity room opened. Changbin whipped around. Hyunjin stood in the doorway smirking, "Give me my keys, Changbin."