Just in Time

Larry came into the museum in a fancy suit. I didn't want to look at him so I turned away. Dr McPhee that was standing near me had other plans.

"Hello excuse me unauthorized personnel. It's our own Mr success story. Have you come for one of your nostalgia tours. I haven't seen you here for a few months."

"Yeah I've been busy," he said well looking around, "What's going on here?"

"Progress or so they tell me the future behold natural history version 2.0"

Dr McPhee turned on the hologram. Showing what they were going to replace some of the exhibits with. Larry asked a question and after it answered it glitched out.

"Blah blah blah history history learning learning changing America one child at a time," said Dr McPhee.

"It's great so you're adding new interactive exhibits," said Larry.

"No mister Daley not adding. Replacing the old exhibits."

"Where are they going?"

After Larry asked that I zoned out because I knew where they were going. I couldn't stop it. No matter what I did. They wanted the future. The holograms may be able to answer questions but they will never be as good as the real thing.

"Anyway why do you care," asked Dr McPhee.

"No it's just people love this stuff," responded Larry.

"People Mr Daley love what's next. You should know that. You left."

I lifted my head up so look at Larry. Dr McPhee was right. He left and should know better than anyone about what's next. Dr McPhee then continued then continue the conversation. Telling him where they would go tomorrow.

"There's got to be something we can do," said Larry.

"We did everything we could do," I said with tears in my eyes.

That's when Larry noticed that I was there. He's always so stupid. Even a time like this. Dr McPhee understood all we did. All we tried to do and that never amounted to anything.

"It's done they leave tomorrow morning It's over," Dr McPhee said taking Larry's attention again.

He quietly walked out of the building. Leaving me and Larry behind. The sun was about to set thankfully. So I had to go and get ahk out. I would not want to sit in awkward silence with him.

After the tablet glowed I opened the sarcophagus. Quickly ahk popped up with his bright smile. Making all of the pain of seeing Larry go away. I couldn't help myself and hugged him.

"Good morning ahk," I said.

"It's more like good evening Mary," he said.

I looked up at him slightly upset.

"I'm sorry Marion I just don't like seeing you this upset," he said.

"It's not a problem," I said.

"You being upset is my problem."

He gently lifted my chin to look at him. His face looked just as upset as mine. I let go of him and took a step back.

"We did everything we could ahk but it wasn't enough," I said trying to hold back my tears, "Their going to send the exhibits away."

I began to cry. I couldn't stop myself all I could think of is how soon everyone would disappear and I would never see them again.

"Marion it will all be ok," he said.

"How can it be ok," I yelled, "Soon all of you will leave and I will never you again. Especially you ahk. I'll be all alone here at the museum. With only holograms for company."

"Marion I'm sure everything will be alright," he said grabbing me into another hug, "Let's go downstairs and send our friends off with a proper goodbye."

"Let's go," I said sadly grabbing his hand.

I hope my eyes aren't too red or puffy. We walked down the stairs to see everyone out of their boxes welcoming Larry back.

"The Guardian of Brooklyn has returned," ahk said.

"Hey ahk," Larry said as he gave a quick glance to me.

He pointed at us a little. I followed the point to see me and ahk still holding hands. I looked at ahk in surprise that he didn't let go of my hand.

"Hey look McPhee told me what's going on around here I had no idea," Larry said concerned.

Larry kept talking to the others a bit. I kept overthinking why ahk still hadn't let go of my hand. When Larry's phone buzzed interrupting my thoughts. His phone interrupted his own conversation with his Teddy.

"That's annoying," I whispered.

"It truly is," said ahk.

After a little cry for help Larry lifted the lid of box. Showing my favorite little people jedediah and octavius.

"Yeah looky here If it ain't Mr big in the britches himself come back just in time to see us off," said Jedediah.

"Yeah Jed I heard look I don't even know how this happened

"Yeah yeah real mystery how this happened maybe the answer on that magic buzzing box there your hand," he said sarcastically, "You Weren't here gigantor. That's how it happened ain't no mystery."

"The fact is Larry no one else here to speak on our behalf during business hours even though Marion did her best during the night."

"None none dumb dumb," said the Easter Island head.

They all yelled angrily.

"Hey guys it's okay I'll call the board in the morning alright I got some pull now I'll handle this you're going to be okay here," said Larry

"We do you hear that did you hear daydream Johnny there ain't been a we since you put us on the pay no mind list and that's a cold place to be boy at least Marion stayed protecting us even when she lost sleep and half her mind she stayed unlike you" yelled jedediah.

I could feel that most of the museum was looking and Larry upset. While the few who weren't instead we're looking at me. Knowing that I did lose sleep and my mind at times.

"Larry what's done is done even the glory of Rome had to come to an end," octavius said well looking in a weird direction.

I just sat there not absorbing anything about what anyone was saying. I was about to leave when I turned to see ahk's hand still in mine. His eyes looked so sad. So I stood next to him again. That's when he let go of my hand.

"These are emotional times for all of us but it is our last night as a family and I don't want to see it squandered in self-pity so who will join me for one final stroll through these hallowed halls," said Teddy.

We all slowly walked the halls together and sadly the sun was going to rise. I walked ahk back to his exhibit. He wrapped himself up in his cloth again. Laying down in is sarcophagus without his Golden crown.

"Good morning," I said teary eyed.

"Good morning Marion," he said.

I slowly closed his sarcophagus and locked it. When I came back out the sun had risen and Larry was gone.