Chapter 14 Boys Are Not Toys

Ethan's POV

I ate lunch with my fellow farmhands and couldn't believe I would be one of them. The girls were stealing glances at me as they whispered to each other, and Vince looked so amused. He invited me many times, but I said no.

He loves working here as one of them, but it seemed like my father asked him to claim as the son's owner since I could hear the girls talking about him in the hallway.

I didn't care if they believed my cousin was the heir; it would be better that way, so they would stop bothering me. I didn't want girls to like me because of my family name.

I wondered what kind of job my cousin was doing here on the farm, but he had always been fascinated by the serenity of this place, and only this time did I understand Vince. The farm was like a paradise. I could see the beautiful plantation surrounding the farmhouse, and even the hills that mounted at the end of the plantation belonged to our family.

My dad used to bring Vanessa and me to the hills every sunset during our vacation. And it was one of my favorites and one of the things I remembered about my father. Only lately, he had been traveling and visiting here and the rest of our properties all over the country.

He used to be a workaholic, and he seldom stayed at home. He always had an out-of-town or out of the country trip. We missed them around, but Mom always said our father needed to be a way to provide for us; as I grew older, I hated the idea that he was always away from us.

My grandparents passed the company down, and it belonged to our family. My dad can delegate his work, but he wants to run the business himself. My grandfather told him not to trust anyone, and that's why he is hands-on.

Girls flirted with me even if I came as one of them, but I didn't give them my slight attention. I didn't come for fun; I meant business and must work hard to have a better future. I didn't want my father to laugh at me and show it to my face that he was right.

It has been one week since I started working, and I already got three late. I knew Nina was not pleased with my work performance, but she couldn't fire me yet because she pitied me and wanted to help me.

"You better sleep early, Ethan, so you won't be late tomorrow. I don't want others to follow your bad behavior, and I don't want them to tell me that I am biased. I wanted to be fair to everyone, so I am warning you to please come on time tomorrow, or I don't have a choice but to fire you," Nina said after she called me to her office.

"Or you will remain working at the stable if you keep coming late." She added.

"I promise you, Nina, tomorrow I will not be late. I will wake up early morning. I think my alarm clock is broken." I lied.

"You can use your phone, or I will give you another alarm clock. I know you are used to waking up late in the morning, but you can't do that anymore since you're working here on the farm." Nina answered.

"What is this?" I asked Jonathan after he handed me a piece of paper.

"It is from Nicole," he answered, and I smiled.

"I think it is a love letter," he added.

"No one is making love letters nowadays," I replied as I opened the folded bond paper. My eyes dilated as I read what was written on it.

"Meet me at the hills at five thirty tomorrow," it says.

"Oh, I think she likes you," Jonathan mumbled.

"I am not interested in Nicole," I replied as I tore the paper and threw it on the trash bin under the desk inside our room.

"Well, I noticed not only Nicole; many girls are flirting with you," he responded, and I shook my head.