Chapter 8 Feeling Hurt

Meliza's POV

"Are you ready to explore the plantation?" Jonathan asked as he helped me dismount his chosen horse after we reached the entrance of the mango plantation.

"Yes, I am," I responded with a smile as I looked around. I giggled when I saw ripe mangoes hanging above our heads.

Jonathan jumped and plucked one of the ripe fruits. Adriana's Mango plantation is the country's number one supplier of the sweetest mangoes.

"I am always fascinated with this place, the cool breeze, and the wonderful scenery around us. I love the mango plantation the most," I added as I watched him peel the mango using his bare hands. My mouth watered as I looked at the fruit in his hand.

He handed it to me, and I quickly took the peeled mango and devoured it like I hadn't eaten for a long time. I couldn't stop from closing my eyes as I savored its sweetest.

I could taste its freshness in my mouth, just like in the old days. When I opened my eyes, I felt embarrassed as I found my friend looking at me with his mouth agape.

"I am sorry, I just miss eating this variety of mango. We both knew Adriana's mango is the best." I said as I wiped my mouth with the hem of my racerback.

"Of course, I feel the same way, too," Jonathan replied. And I didn't notice he got another fruit for himself, and I smiled as I looked at him eat his share.

He handed me his handkerchief, but I declined since I had already wiped my mouth with my tank top. We toured the plantation, and I was glad the farmhands were not yet around to start their work.

It was still very early in the morning, and I beamed as I looked at the morning dews on the grass and the leaves of the trees. I felt thankful I didn't listen to myself and went back to my room, sulking.

I missed this place so much, and I hate to think that every time my mind wanders to it, it will always lead me to Ethan and our memories together.

We used to climb the mango trees when no one was around and sit side by side on the branches, talking about our future together. I couldn't believe I talked about marriage at an early age. It was one of the best memories I had with him, and I should have kept them in my mind without the hatred that consumed my entire soul.

I enjoyed walking beside Jonathan and talking like we used to during my work on the plantation. I felt glad I hadn't seen my ex and his girlfriend around, and I wondered where they went. I could feel the pang in my chest as I thought of Ethan again.

"Can we go to the vegetable plantation as well?" I asked.

"Of course, I heard they are harvesting cucumber today," Jonathan replied, and my face lit up.

"Oh, I always love cucumbers!" I exclaimed, and he chuckled.

"I remember your fascination with vegetables. You are health conscious as always." He responded, and I nodded.

My mom always reminded me to eat a healthy diet. She believed that health is wealth, and she wanted me to be health-conscious and take care of my body. For her, aside from my face, my body figure is my greatest asset.

I don't want to think about my mother since I will only feel upset and nervous.

We went to the vegetable plantation after our excursion under the mango trees, and he was right; the farmhands were busy hand-harvesting cucumbers early in the morning, and I couldn't stop helping them.

The farmhands tried to stop me from helping, but I missed doing it. Jonathan was eager to support me, and in the end, we harvested more than twenty kilos of cucumbers. I felt so happy that our morning was productive.