Chapter 43 My First Love

Meliza's POV

When I woke up the following morning, Ruby was lying on my bed beside me, still wearing her flimsy gown. Looking around, I saw her robe lying on the back of the vanity chair.

It must have been late in the morning since I could feel the sun's rays on my face. I couldn't believe she opened the window and pulled the curtains on the sides. I grunted as I covered myself with the blanket, but she pulled it away from my face as she turned her body sideways. She was facing me with her big, round eyes staring at me.

"I am your best friend, Iza. You ran away from everyone, yet we could still communicate within those years that I haven't seen you." She declared as I stayed silent.

"I was worried about you every day since every time I asked you if we could meet up, you always had reasons not to see me." My best friend added, and I could feel the annoyance in her voice.

"I was hurt and tried my best to understand you because I care about you and love you like a sister." She continued.

"Even if I knew Vince was in love with you, I still wanted to see you and spend time with you. You were a threat to me since I know there is a 100% chance Vince would break up with me because of you." Ruby stated as she took my hand.

"Our friendship means so much to me, Iza. Seeing you like this breaks my heart. I want you to know I will never allow something bad to happen to you, not on my watch." She softly mumbled.

"Now, you have to tell me what is going on with your life, or I will hate you for keeping secrets as big as this; what are you up to, and who are those men, Iza?" She asked, and I was silent as I gazed at her.

"Come on, Iza, tell me," she demanded, and I shook my head.

"Don't worry about me, Ruby. It is not a big deal. I am fine," I replied and averted her scrutinizing eyes.

"Cut the bullshit, Meliza. How could you say that after what happened at San Fernando's peak?" She asked.

"I am not leaving this room unless you tell me what is happening with you. I never expected your life to be so messed up, " she added.

"Okay, fine, but you have to promise me you will never tell anyone, especially Ethan," I responded, and her face fell.

"After what he had done to you? Ethan saved you, Iza. I think it is about time to set aside your animosity towards him." She declared.

"You don't understand Ruby. I don't want Ethan to know. I won't tell you anything unless you swear not to tell him." I said as I stood up.

"Okay, Iza. I promise I won't tell anyone." She replied, and I took a deep breath before I told her everything.

"Oh, Meliza. I am so sorry; I didn't know what you had been through. It must be hard on your part. You could have told me. I wouldn't force you to be here. Your safety is more important than my wedding day." My best friend said after I told her everything about Elijah, and I weakly smiled at her.

"I promised you I would be here with you on your wedding day. I am sorry if I have caused you so much trouble since I arrived. I should be there with you every step of the way since I am your Maid of Honor, and I will facilitate everything on your behalf." I replied.

"I felt so scared that they would find me; that is why I tried to stay away from everyone," I added.

"You don't need to say sorry, Iza. I couldn't believe Aunt Sol would allow his husband to use you. You can't marry someone like Elijah." She replied.

"Exactly. I was hiding for four years, and now they found me." I replied.

"You are safe here in San Fernando. Ethan hired men to guard the entire place to keep you safe." She said, and my eyes widened in disbelief.