Chapter 32 She Broke My Heart

Ethan's POV

My engagement with Iza made me feel complete. My life suddenly found meaning, and I now have a purpose. I realized she was the missing piece.

I wiped my sweat with the sleeve of my shirt and walked faster since I couldn't wait to see Meliza. I was assigned to the vegetable plantation today, and I didn't get the chance to see her since I was busy harvesting tomatoes.

I am happy because since Iza became my girlfriend and fiancee, it seemed like everything fell into place. I am confident that everything will be fine, and once my punishment is over, I will go home to my father and beg him to take me back and tell him I am ready to take over the company.

"Meliza's mother was here; it seemed she found out about your engagement," Vince said as I took the front porch step.

"What?" I asked, feeling so nervous.

"Where is Meliza?" I asked, feeling scared if she left without saying goodbye.

"Don't worry, she is still here. Her mother wanted to drag her out from the farm, but your girlfriend begged her mom to give her a chance to bid farewell to you." Vince replied.

"Meliza's mom was so determined to take Iza back and looked so angry when she arrived. I had to talk with her, and that was when she calmed down." My cousin added.

"I am surprised she suddenly showed up; someone betrayed you and Iza by telling her mom about your relationship and engagement." Vince continued.

"Only Ruby knew Meliza's mother's contact number, and I don't think she would betray her own best friend. She wished Iza to date me, and I am sure she wasn't the one who told Iza's mom." I responded.

"Me too," Vince replied, and I excused myself and went straight to my fiance's room. I knew she wouldn't leave me since she was engaged with me.

But my expectations ended like bubbles in the air when Iza broke up with me. I could feel the pain that pierced deep in my heart. It felt like I was only dreaming, but the coldness of her gaze made me feel so empty and lost.

"Don't do this, Iza," I mumbled as I approached her, but she stepped back and was determined to break up with me.

I tried to reason out, but every time she asked me how I was going to support her, I was tongue-tied because I couldn't tell her anything about me. Otherwise, I would lose my chance of taking back my inheritance or my opportunity to take over my father's company.

That is the only way I can take good care of her when I am in power, where I can do what I want. As of that moment, she was right. I had nothing to offer her, but I tried to stop her from breaking up. But when she told me she didn't love me, it felt like someone stabbed my heart.

In the end, I walked out of her bedroom door feeling so defeated after she told me it was over between us. I couldn't do anything to win the girl I love.

But I am not giving her up. I have a plan, and I ask my friends to help me out with my plan if this is the last night that we're going to spend together. I want to make it memorable, and I want her to reconsider. And I was hoping she would change her mind.

Ruby promised she would take Iza to the rooftop after dinner. I didn't expect Nicole and her friends to be there, too. I can't just ask them to leave, which would be unfair. They have the right to stay on the roof deck as well. It is a place open to all. It was only a small gathering for us. I asked Nina to prepare finger food and nonalcoholic beverages.

It felt like an eternity before Ruby showed up with her best friend looking so gloomy, and I could see the sadness beneath Iza's smile as she looked around.