Chapter 15 An Enigma

Ethan's POV

"Do you know Meliza?" I asked Jonathan, and I could see his surprised and worried expression.

"Why do you ask about her?" He asked, looking at me sideways. We are both lying in our beds as we get ready for sleep.

"Nothing. I just heard her name; the girls talked about her in the kitchen when I drank water," I responded, omitting the fact that Nicole and her friends had warned me not to fall for her. I wished to laugh at them for thinking that way.

I would not fall in love with a farm girl. I have never dated someone from the lower class.

"Oh, I see, and what did they tell you?" He asked.

"That she has an angelic face, a beautiful girl," I replied without telling him the bad things I heard, and his facial expression changed as if I was talking nonsense.

"Those girls will never acknowledge Iza is beautiful because they are always envious of her," he responded.

"Oh, you like her," I teased him, and he looked at me with a solemn expression on his face.

"Of course, I like her a lot; all the boys here like Iza, only the girls hated her. She is different from everyone; she is beautiful and lovely. Those girls love making up stories to ruin Iza's reputation, and it broke her heart, but she wouldn't show it to anyone. She is brave and a fighter." he responded with a smile on her face. I could tell he was in love with her. I wrinkled my forehead as I looked at him.

"You said all the boys. Does that include Vince?"

"Yes, even the son of the owner of this farm like her a lot," Jonathan responded, and my curiosity heightened, but I couldn't believe they would be victims of her games.

"Is she that beautiful?" I asked.

"Yes, of course, her face could launch a thousand ships like Helen of Troy, but there is something about this girl, I mean young woman since she looked different now from the previous summer," Jonathan responded.

"She had turned into a beautiful woman, and I am sure you will like her too, and I am afraid she will fall for you. It only means we lost our chance with her forever." He added, and I laughed.

"Ha! There were a lot of city girls who were more beautiful than those celebrities, but I wasn't interested in them. I don't think there's a woman out there who could make me say she is perfect for me. And I am telling you now, I am not like you; you are too weak to fall into her trap." I declared, and I could see the hurt on his face.

"Don't listen to those girls, Ethan; they made rumors to ruin Iza's reputation." He replied, and I could tell Jonathan was smitten by Meliza's, and I couldn't wait to ask Vince about her.

"Whatever, I am not interested in knowing this girl anyway, or any other girl for that matter," I responded and said good night to Jonathan before I switched off the side lamp on my side.

But her name kept popping into my head, and I wouldn't say I liked the idea that I hadn't seen her yet, but I couldn't stop thinking about her, and I found it hard to sleep as I tried to shut her name off my mind.

I quickly showered after waking up the following morning and hastily put on my clothes. I wasn't used to wearing brandless clothing, but I was not allowed to get inside my room and couldn't get my clothes.

I was forbidden to wear fancy clothes, so my cousin bought me the cheapest clothes he could find at the thrift store. At least I had my old jeans and favorite shirt.

I ran through the hallways and took the stairs two steps at a time since I was already late for breakfast. I felt relieved that I could reach the dining hall before they finished eating. I am late, but not so late that I can still eat breakfast.