33. Together, Yeah?

Jill's first two weeks of recovery had gone surprisingly well, and I genuinely loved the amount of time we got to spend together. She was practically living in my apartment once again, but neither of us really said much about it. We both wanted to take this slow and communicate with each other. We wanted to do it right.

I was also extremely proud of Jill; her first physical therapy session was yesterday with Daphne, and I'd be lying if happy tears didn't fill my eyes. It marked the beginning of Jill's nine-month recovery journey, though it also marked the fifth month of my recovery.

Watching Jill do some of the small exercises I did in my first days served as a reminder of how far I've already come. I hadn't realised how much time had truly passed since I tore my ACL back in October.

As quietly as I could, I slipped out of bed and away from the warmth Jill provided against my better judgment. I wanted to stay tucked into Jill's arms for the rest of the day, but I had plans to put into motion. A soft smile appeared on my face as I put on my headphones, settling on listening to a mix of Gracie Abrams, Brent Faiyaz, and The Neighbourhood.

Soon enough, the smell of bacon filled my kitchen as it sizzled in the stove. I mindlessly cooked the bacon while simultaneously making the waffle batter from scratch. Cooking was second nature for me; it was something I'd always like to do. Whenever I had the time, which seemed to be quite often these last few months, I'd find new recipes and try new things I normally wouldn't make. Jill would usually be my tester, much to her dismay, but I know she loves my cooking and just gives me a hard time.

When the bacon was finished, I removed the waffle I was checking quickly and set it down on the plate I'd set to the side before turning my attention to the bacon. I swiftly laid the pieces on a paper towel and covered them, setting them in the microwave to keep them warm.

I shifted to the refrigerator, grabbing eggs while softly humming Minor by Gracie Abrams. It had honestly been on repeat in my head lately; not for any like reason in particular, I just loved everything about the song.

By the time I finished making breakfast, the sun had finished rising and shone through the window with an intensity that told me absolutely no clouds were in the sky. I finally removed my headphones, setting them down on the counter with my keys and whatnot.

Grabbing the plates with Jill and I's breakfast, I set them down at the table and poured us both a glass of apple juice before feeling satisfaction with myself. Opening my bedroom door revealed a sleeping Jill who had sprawled across the bed, completely taking over my side. I rolled my eyes before crouching down in front of her face and brushing the hair out of her eyes. Scanning her features, all I could see was natural beauty; everything about her was perfect.

Deciding I needed to wake her up now, I placed a kiss on her forehead and lightly shook her shoulders. She groaned before opening one eye and shutting it once she realised I was in front of her. Though a small smile appeared on her face, and I couldn't help but giggle at her actions.

"Goedemorgen, I made us breakfast." I hummed, brushing my thumb over her cheek as I held her head in my hand. When she finally opened her eyes, I felt a warmth spread through me; even when Jill's just woken up, she still looks at me like I'm the only girl in the world. It's a look I can't explain entirely, but it's the same way I look at her every second of every day.

Without another thought, I placed a kiss on Jill's lips that was returned immediately, making me grin. I pulled away and quickly planted a kiss on her forehead before untangling myself from her and standing up. "Get up, sleepy head! Breakfast will get cold!" I laughed, making a swift exit out of my bedroom and back towards the table. A few minutes later, Jill made her way out of my room with a noticeable limp, but I knew better than to say anything, even if my worry for her was endless.