Rohit Sharma's Brutally Honest Assessment of His Series Loss against Sri Lanka

The Rohit Sharma-led team lost the third ODI against Sri Lanka by 110 runs, and India suffered its first defeat in an ODI series on Sri Lankan territory in 27 years.

After India's Rohit Sharma-led team lost the third ODI against Sri Lanka by 110 runs on Wednesday, they suffered their first defeat in an ODI series on Sri Lankan territory in 27 years. India was well outplayed on a ground that was favoured by the spinners. They were chasing a target of 249 when they were bowled out for just 138.

It was a major blow for new coach Gautam Gambhir, who struggled in his maiden assignment, as India lost the three-match series 2–0. Even though the squad lost the series, Rohit stated after the game that it was not the "end of the world" and that the outcome did not worry the team much.

Rohit Sharma Lead India vs Sri Lanka ODI Series

"I don't believe it warrants concern. However, it's something we need to consider both individually and as a strategy. It's a jest. There can be no complacency when representing India in sports. There is no room for complacency when I am captain.

However, you must acknowledge excellent cricket. We were outplayed by Sri Lanka. We considered the circumstances and made the necessary adjustments. After taking into account the men who also need consideration. We should focus on many things instead of just the good things.

These things happen; losing a series is not fatal. You will occasionally lose a strange series. What matters is how you bounce back," Rohit remarked during the post-game awards ceremony. The first ODI finished in a dramatic draw; while the hosts went on to win the second by 32 runs.

India started brightly again in the chase for 249, but fell apart against the island nation's spinners, especially Dunith Wellalage (5.1–0–27–5), who spearheaded the attack.

In 26.1 overs, India was bowled out for 138. Washington Sundar (30) and captain Rohit Sharma (35) fighting it out alone. All-rounder Riyan Parag earlier took 3 for 54 on his debut, but Sri Lanka still managed a challenging 248 for 7, thanks to well-compiled scores of 59 from Kusal Mendis and 96 from Avishka Fernando.

Riyan bowled his off-breaks to deny Fernando a century, which he deserved. There were two sixes and nine fours in his 102-ball inning. Fernando and Pathum Nissanka (45) contributed 89 runs for the first wicket, then Mendis and Fernando added another 82 runs for the second wicket.