Sri Lanka names Jayasuriya as team full-time head coach

The former batter for Sri Lanka, Sanath Jayasuriya, has been named the team's full-time head coach. The Sri Lanka Cricket Executive Committee made the choice to give Jayasuriya a full-time position.

The agreement with Jayasuriya will be in force from October 1, 2024, to March 31, 2026. Prior to being designated the team's interim head coach earlier this year. Jayasuriya was SLC's cricket consultant.

Jayasuriya's first task as acting head coach was to oversee the home white-ball series against India. While India emerged victorious in the Twenty20 Internationals, Sri Lanka performed admirably in the One-Day Internationals, winning the final two matches to secure the series and winning a bilateral series against India for the first time since 1997.

Additionally, the squad performed admirably in England. Despite losing the first two Tests, they bounced back to defeat the hosts at The Oval in the third Test.

Starting on October 13, Jayasuriya's first task as the head coach full-time will be the home series against West Indies. There are three T20Is and three ODIs in the series.

Since then, Sri Lanka has performed better, winning a test match in England after ten years, a bilateral one-day international series against India, and a home test series victory of 2-0 against New Zealand.

Jayasuriya's position with Sri Lanka Cricket will take effect on October 1 and last for 18 months, the announcement said on Monday.

After an amazing playing career in which he amassed over 21,000 international runs and claimed 440 wickets in all three forms of the game, Jayasuriya is taking on his first role as an international coach.