Jacob Oram takes over as New Zealand's bowling coach

Jacob Oram, a former New Zealand allrounder has been appointed bowling coach for the men's cricket squad. He filled the post left vacant by Shane Jurgensen in November 2023. Oram will formally take over on October 7.

Oram has been handed the position permanently. After assisting the squad in the 1-1 series draw during the Test tour of Bangladesh in late 2023. The 3-0 T20I series defeat against Australia in February 2024. The Men's T20 World Cup earlier this June. Where New Zealand was eliminated in the group stages. The 46-year-old began his coaching career in 2014. He was appointed bowling coach for New Zealand A. He takes over in the same capacity for the New Zealand Women's Cricket Team from 2018 until the Women's ODI World Cup. Which will be contested at home in March 2022.

Jacob Oram

Oram has also coached in several franchises and tournaments. He previously served as head coach of the Central Hinds in the Super Smash, assistant coach of the Northern Warriors in the T10 competition, and bowling coach of MI Cape Town in the SA20. Having represented New Zealand in 33 Tests, 160 ODIs, and 36 T20Is over his 11-year playing career, Oram intends to pass on his knowledge to the next generation of bowlers rising through the ranks to prepare them for the international stage.

I'm very happy to be engaged with the Black Caps again, he informed me. "It's an honor to be back with a team that means so much to me and has played such an important role in my life. The recent opportunities I've had have provided me with valuable insight into where this team is going. I'm looking forward to continuing that work in the coming seasons.

There is a new wave of talent emerging in the Black Caps bowling ranks. I intend to share my knowledge and experience to better prepare them for the difficulties of international cricket.

Gary Stead, New Zealand's head coach was also pleased to have Oram join his staff. He believes that the all-rounder's franchise coaching expertise, as well as his own excellent career, will bring out the best in the players.

"Jake is an excellent operator," Stead remarked. "His playing career and coaching experiences speak for themselves." He has a thorough understanding of the international game, as well as experience in franchise cricket, which will be useful in understanding the modern player and the evolving landscape of the game. It's a fantastic opportunity for him, and we look forward to having him join the group full-time.