The India Test Series, Steve Smith will return to the No 4 position.

In the forthcoming Test series against India, veteran Australian batsman Steve Smith will take the field at number four, his preferred spot, following a brief stint as an opener.

National selector George Bailey revealed on Monday that veteran Australia batsman Steve Smith will be back at his preferred number four spot in the forthcoming Test series against India, following a brief stint as an opener. Following the retirement of starting pitcher David Warner earlier this year, Smith volunteered to start the innings. In just his second Test match in the new role, the 35-year-old scored an undefeated 91 runs. But he struggled in the series against New Zealand, managing just 51 runs in four innings.

Bailey verified that Smith will return to his preferred slot, as chosen by head coach Andrew McDonald and captain Pat Cummins.

After all-rounder Cameron Green, who had taken over Smith's role at No. 4, decided to have a lower back surgery that would sideline him for six months, Smith had the chance to return to his previous position.

Steve has stated that he would like to return to his starting position, and Pat and Andrew have verified that he will be returning to his starting position for the summer. India will play Australia for the Border Gavaskar Trophy, which begins in Perth on November 22.