Doubts

The small human was hiding something, at my voice she jumped, something rarely done after the initial days we spent together. Like a startled feline her brownish orbs tracked me as she spun around with the wooden chair. Cautiously she angled herself purposely so that her frame covered the monitor behind her. Usually she would break eye contact bashfully every few seconds. Her fidgeting and self soothing actions gave away her usual timid nature. Now her gaze was unwavering, wide brown eyes were consuming as they observed my every move. The chair creaked as she stood, her hands opened and displayed in front of her. It seemed like she was approaching a wild animal.

"Horus?" Her voice was quiet and strained as if it hurt to speak. A tangy smell arose from her: fear.

"Luna, what's wrong?"

"I- I thought you were sleeping."

"Luna, what's wrong?" He chirped again.

Horus approached me, my heart jumpstart goosebumps throughout my body. It was as if my eyes opened for the first time. The overbearing heat vanished like a flick of a switch and I was left shaking from the cold reality I found myself in.

Since when have I been in this fog? Did it start when everyone I knew died in that strange ship or was it since the voyagers arrived. Beings we thought long dead from the smog and sweltering heat of Earth descended from the dusty orange sky to bring us to what we perceived to be a new safer home. Hand picked by the monochromatic extraterrestrial humans only to be used as a breeding ground for these acidic aliens. Maybe it was before then, now that I think about it this haze probably started when Sky was taken from me. It's been so long since I've been on autopilot that it had become my normal state.

Either way now I found myself truly alarmed at my pathetic life and the fact that somehow, against all odds, I am still here.

I could feel the veins in my neck pumping blood. My heartbeat was deafening. I was on an alien planet. With an alien- someone I had come to call a companion and subconsciously have started to see him as more. A protector, a man, and I had hoped a friend-

Before I never thought about other life forms. I always laughed at the people that daydreamed about these useless things. Thousands of years, even on Earth, humans always fantasized of not being alone in the universe. Of having something greater to look up to, gods, other worldly beings, or even just a bigger plan for everything in general. For thousands of years humanity hoped and fantasized before they became space aliens themselves. Now that I found myself face to face with the real thing I don't know what to think.

When was I pulled into this sense of security by him? What is to say that he'll actually protect me and keep me safe. Though he always made sure I was fed and safe he still ended up leaving me. Why was he so insistent on taking me with him in the first place and now going so far as to seemingly track me down once I left.

Something smells rancid. A strange leaf covered object hanged from his hip, that wasn't there before. His clawed thumb absentmindedly caressed the object, back and forth.

"That-what is that?" I pointed at the object. Horus never fidgeted; he was always a rock: standing strong and confident with no hesitation in his movements unless it was concerning how to approach me. Whatever this is was clearly important to him.

Her hand was shaking, was she cold too?

Luna pointed out my offspring's hand. She seemed to be inquiring about it. Untying the parcel I slowly crouched to be closer to her height, her shaking had gotten worse. Trying to make myself as small as possible to show the human I meant no harm.

Had I done something to alarm her again?

He unraveled the big leaf slowly. The unknown item was carefully unwrapped as Horus became visibly mindful of his claws.