chapter¹⁰

y/n is the best baker out of the core five and it's really embarrassing

a/n: ONE HOUR LEFT!!! GRRR

🐺✼  ҉  ✼  ҉  ✼🐺

authors pov

11:07 PM. AURADON, THE UNITED STATES OF AURADON

"all right," mal says, sitting on the counter with the spell book in her hands. "it says that we still need one tear, and i never cry,"

y/n mixes the cookie batter, smell being heavenly. she smiles softly as it reminds her of her dad. 

"let's just chop up some onions," carlos suggests before y/n looks at him, holding the bowl in her hand. "wait, never mind," smell of onions would be way too strong for her. 

"no," mal says, throwing her hands up. "it says that we need one tear of human sadness. and this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly," evie nods in agreement. 

"a tear's a tear,"

"that's not true, jay," evie says, looking at the boy. "they have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein based hormones than a reflex tear,"

she gets a bag of flower, putting it close to y/n. y/n smiles in thanks, using a spoon to put some more in the cookie batter. she doesn't need to weigh it. she know what she's doing. she puts the clear bowl down, looking for some cinnamon. 

"look at you," y/n comments, looking at evie. evie smiles cheekily, flicking her blue hair. 

"yeah, i knew that,"

"did not," carlos says, slapping jay's arm. 

"yeah, i did,"

"there you are, mal!" lonnie says, opening the door to the kitchen. "i was looking for you!" mal shuts her spell book, putting it behind her. "you know, all the girls want you to do their hair! midnight snack, huh? what you guys making?"

"nothing special," mal says, looking at lonnie. "just cookies-" lonnie dips her finger into the batter, sticking it in her mouth. 

"oh, no, no, no!"

"wait! wait!"

y/n scrunches up her face, standing next to her girls as she looks at lonnie. this isn't good, is it?

"what?" lonnie asks. "i'm not going to double dip," she says, sucking her finger clean. 

"feel anything?" evie asks. 

"yeah, like maybe it might be missing something,"

missing something? y/n knows how to bake. it cannot be messing anything. she's a great baker! even though it's really embarrassing to admit. 

"is there something missing?" y/n asks, ready to completely ignore lonnie's answer. 

"hey, there," jay says, putting his long brown hair behind his ear and moving closer to lonnie. lonnie looks at him blankly before scrunching up her face. 

"it could use some chips," she says, walking deeper into the kitchen. y/n, mal and evie sigh out in relief. 

"and what are chips?" y/n asks, realising she's just been criticised even though she never asked to be. 

"chocolate chips," lonnie says, opening the fridge and getting a bowl of them. "just the most important food group," chocolate is not a food group. she puts the bowl down, putting a handful into y/n's cookie batter mixture. "wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies?" everyone turns to the descendant of fa mulan, waiting for her to continue. "like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and-" she stops, realising the glum looks on everyone's face. rhydian isn't a bad father. he never did anything to her that her friend's parents did. but she isn't feel sad for her, she's feeling sad for her sister. what kind of things did maria put her through? she feels sad for her friends. "why are you all looknig at me like that?"

"it's different where we're from," mal says, y/n going back to mixing. 

"yeah, i know," lonnie says, awkwardly looking around. "i just, you know, i thought...even villains love their kids," oh no. "oh," lonnie realises after looking around. "how awful," she tears up, a stray tear sliding down her cheek. she places her hand on mal's hands as a sign of comfort. 

mal looks up at lonnie, trying not to cry but then she sees the tear on lonnie cheek. the real human tear of sadness. she quickly returns to her senses, reaching up for it and flicking it into the bowl. 

"yeah, well, big bummer!" the five changes their emotions just like that as nothing happened in the first place. y/n starts to mix the tear into the batter, clearing her throat. "but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you for coming by!" mal says, trying to push lonnie out of the kitchen. "really, really have a good night; and i'll see you tomorrow. evil dreams!"

"goodnight," lonnie says, walking out the kitchen as she was basically ushered out.

"okay, everyone else out too," y/n says, turning to her friends the bowl in her hands. "i need to bake these and i need to do it-"

"can i stay?" carlos asks, raising his hand. y/n narrows her eyes at him as she hums.

"only you," she mutters, she turns to the rets of her friends. "everyone else, get out!"

🐺

"how did you get so good at baking?" carlos asks as his cheek in his hand as he looks at the girl. the girl he has had a crush on forever. "i know there wasn't that much of ingredients on the isle but this amount of skill in baking is crazy,"

"i guess i am crazy," y/n says, checking on the cookies. they're forming nicely. crazy in love with him. 

y/n catches the orange that was just thrown at her, making her take a glance at carlos. 

"you're so easy to annoy," he laughs, getting up from the table. 

"you're so easy to kill," she retaliates, closing her eyes and still facing his direction. they both look at each other before laughing. 

"i met luna again. by myself," he says, sitting on the table. y/n throws him the orange after peeling it for him. "she helped me find my english class,"

"she is nice," y/n says. "maybe a bit too nice..." she mutters to herself. "but she's not a bad person,"

"she's like you," carlos says. y/n turns to him, crossing her arms. she raises her eyebrow to allow him to continue. "but you're way more eviler!" and prettier. 

she looks at him and she laughs, covering her face. 

carlos doesn't why she does. she looks just like a dream. and she's the prettiest girl that he's ever seen.