Chapter 15: Train Fight

We could steal something bigger, but we would need to make it seem like something else, otherwise the Imaia would hunt us down. But is that even possible? We would need Last Shadow's caverns to store it and repair it, but even then, will that be large enough?

C. 7 days, 22 hours since the assassination of rebel leadership

There it is."

Uuchantuu opened her eyes, still concentrating on her measured breathing, and followed Luuhuuta's gesture out the cockpit viewport.

Up ahead, still about two minutes off, an Imaia train had rounded a bend in the craggy hills as it sped poleward.

Flexing her hands, Uuchantuu took the radio.

"Alright teams, remember—we're taking only what we need, nothing else. We need to be in and out before the next checkpoint, and the Imaia isn't likely to send Lightforged or a search team looking for a water car and some ration crates if they think that's all we're after. If they notice missing gembraces, Darkside plants, and rare metals, they'll think we're building up for an attack, and they might have a clue where to start looking. We need to balance the amounts we steal to cover up our intentions."

They'd be taking some medical supplies and fuel as well, but those should hopefully go unnoticed as well in the quantities they sought.

As the train sped closer, Uuchantuu frowned, wishing they had more ships so they could take more than three transports of supplies. More ships would mean not only more water and rations, but more variety of other resources they could take. The speeder bikes they had waiting concealed near the tracks could each only take a crate, and they were mostly along for support and to pick up anyone that fell off the train during the raid.

If they brought more ships, though, then they would have to steal more fuel or power cores. The palladium cores the Imaia ships ran on were extremely efficient, but the metal was rare, and even small quantities would be missed. There was also the issue of the georaurals needed to power the magnetic field that shielded the pilots and passengers from the resulting radiation.

Uuchantuu peered at the train for a bit longer as they closed in—only eighty-four more seconds—then looked back to the cabin. Her team stood ready, gripping hooks instead of strapped into their seats.

"Ready with the containers?"

Kakengo nodded. "Ready, Squad Leader."

Uuchantuu nodded back, taking a deep breath. She raised the radio again. "Edendo, Muuzuuri, you ready?"

"Ready."

Uuchantuu looked to her pilot. "Luhuuta is in charge in the air. On the ground, team leaders are myself, Araana, and Jaran. Keep comms to a minimum. Radio only when you're finished, or if you need help."

"Affirmative."

Uuchantuu unbuckled herself and rose to join her team.

"Good luck out there," Luuhuuta called. "I'll be ready."

Uuchantuu grabbed the hook closest to the door, meeting the eyes of each of her companions.

You can do this.

The plan was simple enough. Each team would drop on top of a different section of the train. Araana's people would drop to the water car near the end, Jaran's team would retrieve the rations and Darkside plants, and Uuchantuu's team would get the rare metals, fuel cells, and gembraces.

"Coming over the train now," Luuhuuta announced. A moment later, the cabin's door hissed, then slid open, buffeting the inside with a warm wind.

Hand tight around her hook, Uuchantuu leaned toward the door and peered down at the train speeding along below them. It was still a bit too far and moving too fast for them to drop.