THE JOURNEY OF ZAMA DLALA

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

“Do not look at me like I’ve grown horns, boy.” I blink twice. I feel myself shrinking every second. The smirk on his face is sending me to an early grave. I swallow absolutely nothing. My throat becomes dry instantly.  
“You see. I do a background check for everyone who gets to be in my house. And guess what? I found something very interesting here. I will get my guys to brief you on what I want.” He says and backs away. “Say hei to your little pregnant girlfriend.” He smiles wider. I swear on my grandfather's grave, I will kill him with my bare hands. My chest is rising up and down. My whole body is on fire. I feel cantankerous. I watch him as he bounces walking. The confidence in him. I wish to wipe that smirk off his face.
“What was that all about?” Can Nhlavini leave me alone for a second. I just stared at him. He always runs away when I am facing the worst. He comes to the rescue after the shit has died down. How the hell did he manage to kill someone? Did he even, really? I now have doubts. “What is he talking about?” He continues to ask. I have bigger issues to worry about. My mind travels back to the ink man. I know when someone talks like this. How do I know? Because I have been in the game before, and I know how their minds operate.  Zama is my weakest link, and he just nailed my heart. I am frustrated. If only I knew that this would lead to my loved one being targets, I wouldn't have been involved in the first place! I am having events of the past. I remember how I would want to learn things that did not make any sense to the world.  No wonder I was never in the good books to my father. I guess I couldn’t rightly call it hacking in the pristine sense. I discovered that a few big firecrackers melded together just the way they would blow open an ATM. I remember sitting at my putter the night they made their debt with about a half dozen or dozen machines with two of them quite well within earshot. Heh, I was accustomed to gunshots in my neighborhood, but the explosions had me puzzled until I read the news the next day! I started doing my own investigation until I was able to figure it out. I first started to learn basic ethical hacking methodology. That really helped me understand the potential market. Know your enemies better than they know themselves. It all started as a fun game for me. The excitement in me knowing that I can do so much without being noticed. I left the game without being noticed, too. I left when it was still safe, but mostly for my own safety, I had to let go of the trouble. There were offers in the black web - which I had declined, and that is when I knew that this was not the life I wanted to live.  I'm trying to be a better version of myself. I made sure that nothing was linked back to me, but clearly, I was fooling with myself. Looks like I have invited trouble. I sigh, closing my eyes. I have seen how people’s lives ended because of refusing to co-operate. I will hand myself in a silver platter. I would rather die than let anything happen to Zama. Just the thought of losing her is sending me to the pit. I slowly get off the bed. Now, I need to stress over  Zama’s safety. I can't protect her when I am here.

 I need to call my father first to let him know that there will be people coming over anytime from now onwards. Walking is a mission, but there is no other method of walking. I stand in the line and wait for everyone to be done. I see this guy and his goons walking over, and I just know that shit is about to hit the fan. I am not ready for anything that is coming out of that man's mouth.  
“Follow me.” He speaks, and no, he is instructing me. I just stand there and stare at him. “Now!” He barks attractive eyes. I have another choice but to follow him. I am shit scared. I don't know what this man is capable of.  
“Thought about the deal?” He asks. I haven't thought about it, really. I just chuck bitterly. That is a sick question to ask.  
“I thought you were telling me.” I shrug my shoulders. His stare is unsettling, but I will not show it. My bladder is full out of nowhere.  
“Good. I will have something given to you, my laptop. He taps on my shoulders and walks past. “Ow, another thing. I do not like my business being discussed. One slip up, nci, nci, nci...” He walks  me stunned. I did not sign up for this. Now I need to join the queue again! One of his men shoves something in my pocket. I hope and pray those are not drugs. I feel my heart jumping to my throat. I have watched too many documentaries. All three walked past without uttering a word. I ran to the toilets like a maniac. I check the coast first and realize that it’s safe to check my pockets. I dip my shaky hand through, and it comes back with a smartphone. I gasped in shock. I look around once more. I am waiting for the sirens to burst through our ears. My heartbeat is thudding in fear.