Chapter Eleven

Author's Note: Happy to say we've officially passed 200 votes on Eyes of Azyron! (08/18/24) Thank you all for a the love and excitement you have given to my work. I'm so very thankful to have watched this all begin to take shape. You all have been amazing. <3

When I opened the door, I couldn't stop the spread of the smile across my face

When I opened the door, I couldn't stop the spread of the smile across my face. I looked directly at Amelia, and her expression was puzzled. It was as if she realized I was seeing her for the first time. Her auburn hair was pulled back into a simple bun, and covered with a kerchief to keep it clean. Her face was round, open, and dotted with freckles, her brown eyes were liquid and calm, like that of a doe. I bit my lip, and kept staring directly at her, excitement building in my chest, hoping she would say something.

"Marienne?" She started. "Is something the matter?" Her eyes flicked towards Victor as he emerged from the doorway. He had taken the time to find both a white linen shirt and pull on a black overcoat with large sleeves. He was buttoning the cuff on one of his wrists, and my eyes were drawn to the motion. My heart skipped a beat, and I wondered if I'd ever get used to seeing him. He was agile and sleek, almost feline. He looked up at me, then towards Amelia. He cocked an eyebrow, asking me if I was going to explain myself.

Instead of answering directly, I confidently strode towards Amelia, then cupped her face in my hands, holding her close to me. "What a gift it is to finally see your face as clear as day." I told her. Her eyes widened in shock, and she tried to look again at Victor. I think she was worried I had gone mad, but in reality, I'd never felt better in my life.

She blinked rapidly, starting to take it in. Her hand rested on mine. I still hadn't let her go, and giddy laughter came welling up from my belly. The corners of her mouth started to twitch up into a smile as well. "Marienne, you really are telling me the truth?" I nodded. "Oh, this is-well, it's wonderful, is what it is." Her smile finally showed itself, broadening. Then, she jumped up from her seat and threw her arms around me.

"Oh, Marienne, the things we will be able to do now, the places we can go! Not that we couldn't have done them before, it was that you seemed to have very little want to do anything." She stopped hugging me, stood back and straightened her skirts. "Does this mean then, that you have..." She let her words trail off, afraid to say more.