Chapter Seventeen

Author's Note: It's been awhile now that I've done one of these notes. I mainly wanted to come here and thank you all for your support! You've been absolutely wonderful to me and my book, and honestly, it's been so nice to see all of your kind comments. It's really what keeps me motivated to write and I appreciate it so much! Also, because of that support, Eyes of Azyron has passed 300 votes as of 9/9/24! Thank you all so much! I hope you all enjoy this next chapter!

 It's really what keeps me motivated to write and I appreciate it so much! Also, because of that support, Eyes of Azyron has passed 300 votes as of 9/9/24! Thank you all so much! I hope you all enjoy this next chapter!

When we walked back up to the carriage, the basket filled with our impromptu lunch beckoned invitingly

When we walked back up to the carriage, the basket filled with our impromptu lunch beckoned invitingly. Against all odds, I was somehow hungry, even with the news Victor had imparted to me, along with being so near the ruins of my former home. Both Victor and Amelia seemed to hold their breath, as if waiting to see what I will do. It pricked my skin to have them both acting like I was fragile and liable to fall apart at any moment. I reached into the carriage and snatched out the basket, careful to balance it against my arm and not upend it.

"Come with me, I know a place." I told them, marching forward bravely towards the stream, where great trees stretched their boughs across the water, nearly touching the other side. I found a relatively dry spot underneath one of the greater grandfathers, the shade from its branches a great repose from the quickly dominating summer sun.

Victor and Amelia stood staring at me when I plopped myself in my flowing skirts directly into the grass and dirt. Had they both forgotten where I had come from? I motioned for them to sit.

The first part of our lunch passed in silence. I was trying my hardest to not be aware of the clenching pain in my chest that my heartache for my home was causing. I still had so many questions to ask regarding what had happened to my home, and by matter of events, to me. I paused for a moment, chewing thoughtfully on a mouthful of yeasty bread and creamy cheese. Swallowing, I found the courage to broach the silence that had settled stubbornly across all our shoulders.

"When do you think they will come for us? I mean, attack the castle directly. Surely that is their goal, to usurp the place right out from under you." I looked directly at Victor, silently daring him to dance around the point yet again.

His brow furrowed. "Hmm. Well, perhaps they will come, and try to take the castle. I hadn't thought what the advantage of doing so could be for them. However, I think what they would really need most is for me to be dead, and persecuted for their own crimes. At that point, no one could stop them from using their army, saying that the newly made vampires were merely happy to join in on a united cause." He paused, then added "I suppose they would be rewriting a few laws too, afterward."