Chapter 3: The First Test

The next day at school, Zioles felt a strange sense of anticipation. He couldn’t focus in class, his mind constantly drifting to the meeting he had with Elara after school. He kept a low profile, as usual, but it was harder than ever to ignore the whispers and sneers. Today, though, something was different. Instead of feeling the usual pang of fear or dread, there was a flicker of determination in him, a spark that had been ignited by his decision the night before.

The final bell rang, and Zioles quickly packed his things, heading straight to the place Elara had told him to meet. It was a small, quiet café just a few blocks from the school. As he walked in, he spotted Elara sitting in a booth near the back, sipping on a cup of coffee.

She looked up as he approached, giving him a nod of acknowledgment. “Zioles, right on time. Sit down.”

Zioles slid into the seat across from her, feeling slightly nervous but trying to mask it. “So, what’s this all about?” he asked.

Elara set down her cup and leaned forward, her expression serious. “I’ll get straight to the point. There’s a group of bullies in your school that’s been causing a lot of trouble. They’ve been targeting weaker students, extorting them, and in some cases, even getting physical. The teachers haven’t been able to do anything about it, and most of the students are too scared to speak up.”

Zioles nodded, already knowing the group she was talking about. They were infamous around the school—an arrogant, untouchable clique that everyone feared. He had always tried to avoid them, but it seemed fate was pulling him into their orbit.

“What do you want me to do?” Zioles asked, already knowing the answer but needing to hear it from her.

“I want you to confront them,” Elara said bluntly. “Not just for yourself, but for the students they’ve been terrorizing. You’re a fighter, Zioles. You have the skills to stand up to them, and more importantly, you have the heart to do it for the right reasons.”

Zioles swallowed, feeling the weight of her words. “And what if they come after me? Or worse, what if I can’t handle it?”

Elara’s gaze softened slightly. “I won’t lie to you, Zioles. This won’t be easy, and it could get dangerous. But you won’t be alone. I’ll be here to guide you, and there are others who support what we’re doing. You’re stronger than you think, and it’s time you realize that.”

Zioles nodded, feeling a mix of fear and resolve. “When do we start?”

Elara smiled, a hint of pride in her eyes. “Today. There’s a student they’ve been harassing—Jacob, a freshman. They’ve been taking his lunch money and pushing him around every day for weeks. I want you to intervene.”

Zioles’s heart pounded at the thought of confronting the bullies head-on, but he nodded. “Okay. Where can I find them?”

“They usually hang out near the back of the school after classes,” Elara said. “Jacob will be there too, like clockwork. Just remember, Zioles, you’re doing this to protect him and to send a message. You don’t have to beat them into the ground—just make them understand that they can’t keep getting away with this.”

Zioles took a deep breath, feeling the gravity of the situation. “Got it.”

Elara nodded approvingly. “Good. I’ll be nearby, keeping an eye on things. If things get out of hand, I’ll step in, but I trust you can handle this.”

As Zioles left the café, he felt a surge of adrenaline mixed with nerves. This was it—the moment he had been training for, the moment he had been avoiding for so long. The walk back to school seemed longer than usual, each step bringing him closer to the confrontation he had agreed to.

When he reached the back of the school, he saw them: three of the bullies, lounging against the wall, laughing and talking loudly. In front of them stood Jacob, his head down, nervously handing over his lunch money. One of the bullies, a tall, muscular boy named Ethan, snatched the money from Jacob’s hand with a sneer.

“Thanks, loser,” Ethan said, shoving Jacob back. The other two laughed as Jacob stumbled, trying to keep his balance.

Zioles’s hands clenched into fists. He felt a rush of anger, something he hadn’t felt this strongly before. He stepped forward, his heart pounding, and called out, “Leave him alone!”

The bullies turned to face him, their expressions shifting from amusement to surprise, and then to disdain. Ethan narrowed his eyes at Zioles, a smirk playing on his lips. “Look who decided to grow a spine. What’s the matter, Zioles? You finally get tired of being a little mouse?”

Zioles’s heart pounded in his chest, but he stood his ground. “I said, leave him alone.”

Ethan scoffed and took a step toward Zioles, his two lackeys flanking him. “And what are you gonna do about it, tough guy?”

Zioles didn’t respond with words. Instead, he took a deep breath, remembering Kru Somchai’s lessons on control and focus. He couldn’t afford to lose his temper or let his emotions take over. This wasn’t just about him—it was about protecting Jacob and sending a message to the bullies.

Ethan lunged forward, swinging a punch at Zioles’s face, but Zioles was ready. He dodged to the side with fluid grace, then countered with a quick, controlled strike to Ethan’s ribs. Ethan staggered back, clutching his side, shock and anger flashing across his face.

The other two bullies moved to attack, but Zioles was in his element now. He ducked under a wild punch, delivering a sharp elbow to one of their stomachs, knocking the wind out of him. The third boy hesitated, clearly unsure if he wanted to continue.

“Back off,” Zioles said, his voice calm but firm. “You don’t want this fight.”

The two standing bullies exchanged a glance, then decided Zioles wasn’t worth the trouble. They pulled their friend to his feet, who was still gasping for breath, and together they staggered away, glaring at Zioles as they went.

Zioles watched them go, his heart still racing, but a sense of calm settling over him. He had done it—he had stood up to the bullies, not just for himself but for Jacob and everyone else who had been suffering in silence.

Jacob looked up at Zioles, his eyes wide with awe and gratitude. “Thank you… I don’t know what to say.”

Zioles gave him a small, reassuring smile. “You don’t have to say anything. Just stay out of their way, okay?”

Jacob nodded vigorously, and Zioles watched as the younger boy hurried off, no longer burdened by fear. As Zioles turned to leave, he saw Elara standing a short distance away, watching with a proud smile on her face.

“Well done,” she said as Zioles approached. “You handled that perfectly.”

Zioles shrugged, trying to downplay the adrenaline still coursing through him. “I just did what needed to be done.”

Elara’s smile widened. “And that’s exactly why you’re the right person for this. This was just the beginning, Zioles. There’s more to come, but for now, take a moment to appreciate what you’ve accomplished.”

Zioles nodded, feeling a strange mix of exhaustion and satisfaction. He had taken the first step, and while there were still many challenges ahead, for the first time in a long while, he felt like he was finally in control of his own life.