Chapter 15: Rise of Ironclad

The dim light of dawn filtered through the cracked windows of an abandoned warehouse, casting long shadows across the cold, concrete floor. Amidst the silence, a solitary figure lay sprawled, unconscious and battered—Ironclad, the seemingly invincible enforcer who had just fallen at the hands of Zioles. As the morning light touched his bruised face, memories from a past long buried began to surface, weaving a tapestry of pain, struggle, and unyielding strength that had shaped him into the formidable warrior he had become.

Years Earlier

The echoes of laughter and taunts filled the hallways of Westbrook High School as a young boy trudged alone, his shoulders hunched and eyes fixed on the ground. Back then, he was known simply as Marcus Hale, a name that carried little weight and commanded even less respect. Marcus was tall for his age but lanky, his clothes worn and patched, betraying the poverty that plagued his home life.

The school was a battleground for Marcus, but not one where he emerged victorious. Bullies targeted him relentlessly, mocking his tattered clothes and the emptiness of his lunchbox. He bore their insults in silence, swallowing his pride and suppressing the anger that simmered beneath the surface. Each day was a test of endurance, and each night, Marcus would return to an empty home, his mother working late shifts to make ends meet and his father long gone.

One afternoon, as Marcus made his way home, a group of older boys cornered him in a deserted alleyway. They jeered and shoved him around, their laughter echoing off the brick walls. This was nothing new, but today, something snapped inside Marcus. As one of the boys lunged forward, aiming a punch at his stomach, Marcus sidestepped instinctively, his hand shooting out to deliver a swift jab to the bully's jaw.

The boy stumbled back, eyes wide with surprise, and for a moment, the alley fell silent. The other bullies exchanged shocked glances before rushing at Marcus all at once. But Marcus moved with newfound agility and purpose, dodging their attacks and landing blows of his own. Despite being outnumbered, he held his ground, his pent-up frustration and anger fueling each strike.

When the dust settled, the bullies lay groaning on the ground, and Marcus stood over them, his chest heaving and fists clenched. The adrenaline coursing through his veins was intoxicating, and for the first time, he felt powerful—untouchable. Word of the altercation spread quickly through the school, and the next day, students whispered and pointed as Marcus walked the halls. The bullies who had tormented him now avoided his gaze, their fear palpable.

But while the incident earned him a respite from torment at school, it also caught the attention of others outside its walls—people who saw potential in his raw, unrefined strength.

One evening, as Marcus walked home through the dimly lit streets, he was approached by a middle-aged man with a sharp gaze and a scar running down his cheek. The man introduced himself as Darius Cole, a recruiter for underground fighting circuits. He had heard about Marcus's fight and was impressed by his natural ability.

"You've got talent, kid," Darius said, his voice smooth and persuasive. "But talent alone isn't enough. With the right training, you could be unstoppable—and make a lot of money while you're at it."

Marcus hesitated. The idea of fighting for money was foreign and intimidating, but the promise of financial relief for his struggling mother was tempting. After a moment's thought, he agreed to attend a training session, curious to see where this path might lead.

Darius took Marcus under his wing, introducing him to a rundown but well-equipped gym on the outskirts of town. The place was filled with hardened fighters, their bodies marked by scars and their eyes reflecting lives of hardship. Marcus felt out of place among them, but Darius was a patient and relentless mentor, pushing him to his limits and beyond.