Chapter Four

ADELINA

I woke up early today because I slept earlier than the normal time I usually go to bed. Still, in my bed, I replayed the conversation I had with my Father last night.

'I know you love Abel but, I want you to know that whatever decision you take will decide our faith. Carlos is indeed a Ruthless man. But he is not as bad as people say about him. He will take care of you. At least I know that. He will also protect you with his life. Please, Don't do anything stupid. Our faith lies in your hands, Adelina'. My father talked me into accepting the man I never loved.

'I love Abel Papa. How, am I supposed to love another man that is as ruthless as the Don of the Santiago Family? Why do I have to be the one for sacrifice? Why did you and your brothers take a loan from him? And, why am I the one paying for your mistakes?". I sobbed and my father hugged me.

"I am sorry my child. Believe me, it wasn't intentional. Please, don't cry". He cooed.

After thinking it through, I know that there was nothing I could do but, marry the beast.

Today is my wedding day and I am sad. It feels like my source of life has been taken away from me.

A week ago, I mistakenly ran into someone I had never come across in my life, even though I had heard of him.

At first, he looked handsome. Handsome is an understatement. He is a special specimen of a Greek God if I can put it that way.

He has the most beautiful and captivating grey eyes I have seen. His wavy jet-black hair was neatly combed to the back. He was tall and well-built. There was no doubt he worked out regularly.

But, I am already in love with another man. At least, that was what I told myself when I fell for his look.

When my father told me that the family had decided that I would marry Carlos, the same man I mistakenly bumped into instead of Abel, my cousin. I fainted.

That day, while I was drooling over his looks. My friends told me everything about him. That was when I started panicking. I knew from that moment that what I did would cost me dearly. But, I never knew that the devil would ask for my hand in marriage.

Why does he want to get married to me? Was it to punish me, or was it because my family owed him and could not pay it back?  I am so confused. But my father kept saying my decision determined their faith. What about my faith?

Abel was my first. I have never thought that another man would touch me apart from him. I am not capable of loving someone else. Abel is everything to me. There was no way I could love another. Not this devil of a man.

I have come to a conclusion that,
we will run away. If I can deceive the Don that I have feelings for him. I know that he will fall for my tricks.

Abel has been taken away by my family. They said it was for his good. Another thing is that one of Don's men has been watching me for days now. So, i couldn't contact Abel even though I wanted to.

I got up from my bed and looked around my room. My suitcase was parked, and another bag had been neatly packed, too. According to my father. He said I did not need all my things because Don had already bought me new things. What a show of wealth.

I brushed my teeth and I washed my hair with my vanilla shampoo. I washed my body with a fruit gel.  And after I was done. I wrapped myself with a towel. I also wrapped my hair in another towel.

I walked out of my bathroom and I met my younger sister and my friends waiting for me in my room to help me get ready.

They aren't happy. Just like me. They all know how much I grew to love Abel. They are also very close to him.

But, no one can question my family's decision.

"Here comes the bride, my beautiful sister".  Lucia tried to lighten the mood which made me smile.

"That's it my girl, come. Let's get you ready for your wedding". Sarai gestures to me.

I sat down facing the vanity mirror in my bedroom. While my sister was checking on the jewelry Carlos sent to me. Sarai stood behind me and unwrapped the towel on my hair. My wet hair cascading down my back and she sighed.

She looked at my face in the mirror and put on a big smile. "Look, I know how you feel but, look at it this way. Maybe all this is for the best. Maybe, you and Abel are not meant to be. I want you to see the bigger picture"

I tilted my head to the back to look her in the eyes and I replied "I don't care about his money Lucia. Don't even go there".

"Ok, ok. I get it. I am sorry but, I am just saying all these to cheer you up. So, give me a big smile". She cooed.

I tried to smile a bit. But, it's just not working. She started blow-drying my hair. After which she straightened it and curled it.

After my makeup is done. My sister helped me with my wedding dress. I would be smiling now if I were to wear this wedding gown for Abel. But, that was not the case.

I can't deny the fact that this wedding gown is beautiful. And it fits perfectly. I wonder how Carlos gets to know my size as I didn't even go for any measurement.

As soon as we were done. I looked at myself in the mirror. I look like a princess. And it caused my lips to curl a bit as I smiled admiring my appearance.

The door burst open and the one person I never thought I would see in my room on a day like this walked into my room looking dangerously handsome. But, his voice scared us all.

"You two, get out. I need to speak to my bride alone". And he smirked.

___________________________________