Chapter 6

1996:

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Riley asked.

Klaus nodded and crept down the stairs first.

It was already way past bedtime and from then on the children were no longer allowed to run around the house– unless there was an emergency or they needed to go to the bathroom.

Ben followed right behind him while Riley hesitated for a moment.

Riley actually followed the rules– they didn't want to get in trouble.

It was mostly Klaus and Ben who persuaded them to join in their mischief.

Just like today.

And now Riley was standing at the wide staircase in the hallway, wondering whether they should go back to their room or not.

You know, before they got caught.

But finally Riley followed their brothers down the hall to the kitchen.

Grace baked cookies today and that usually meant the kids ate said cookies for dessert after dinner.

Usually.

Today, however, their father was not happy with their training progress this week, so there was no dessert that day.

Klaus didn't want to accept that–

"We earned those cookies, Ri", he said, after he and Ben walked into Rileys Room.

And now, ten Minutes later, the three of them ran down the dark hallway.

Entering the kitchen, Klaus immediately went over to the cookie jar and picked it up.

He placed the lid on the kitchen table before giving the other two a cookie each.

Riley nodded as a "thanks" and took a bite of the cookie.

They had to admit it was a good idea.

Klaus was (sometimes) right when he said, "Rules are made to be broken."

A high-pitched sound snapped Riley out of their thoughts.

Julien's head poked out of Rileys pajama pocket and he looked around curiously.

Riley smiled and gave the mouse a small piece of their cookie.

Ben put the cookie jar back in its place when all three children heard footsteps in the hallway.

Riley and their two brothers stopped moving and stared at the door.

The footsteps got closer and closer and Riley grabbed one of Klaus and one of Ben's arms.

Then they pulled the two of them closer to the wall.

Not a second later their mother entered the kitchen.

Grace put the tray on the table and the glass of water in the dishwasher before turning it on and leaving the kitchen.

Riley, Klaus and Ben watched the whole thing intently, expecting Grace to send them back to their rooms at any moment.

But nothing happened.

It was as if Grace didn't even see them.

When their Mother left the kitchen, Riley breathed a sigh of relief and let go of their brothers again.