Chapter 7

A few weeks after Five and Riley ended up in the apocalypse, they walked through the destroyed streets.

They wore different clothes to protect them from the sun.

And Five was pulling a small handcart behind him. The teen took a sip from the water bottle before handing it to Riley.

Years passed and the couple moved across the country. First in the hope of meeting other survivors, then to find a place where they can stay longer.

"Do you remember that, uh, little mansion just outside the city limits?" asked Five on a warm summer day.

"The mansion with the-"

"Yeah. Yeah, well, it turns out the wine cellar was untouched. Picked up a few cases of your favorite Bordeaux."

"Your favorite Bordeaux," Riley corrected. "That's basically the only thing you drink."

"That's an exaggeration. I don't drink too much."

Riley raised an eyebrow.

"You know, I work all day. Why would you even say that?"

All of sudden, they both heard a strange noise.

Five reached for his rifle and aimed at a woman with blonde hair and a black coat.

~

"When's it supposed to happen? This... apocalypse," Luther asked.

He, Five and Riley were still at Diego's.

Five was already awake and sitting on the bed while Riley was still sleeping.

"I can't give you the exact hour, but... from what I could gather, we have four days left."

"Why didn't you say something soo-"

"Pssst," Five interrupted Luther because his brother had spoken a little too loudly.

The teenager nodded his head in Riley's direction.

"Sorry," Luther muttered.

"It wouldn't have mattered, anyway," Five explained.

"Of course it would," Luther began.

This time, however, he realized that he was speaking too loudly again and corrected his volume.

"We could've banded together and helped you try to stop this thing."

"For the record, you already tried," replied Five.

"What do you mean?"

Five had tried to suppress these memories all these years. He and Riley had barely spoken about it until now.

There was always this unspoken promise between them to try everything to stop the apocalypse.

Riley rolled over in their sleep and placed their hand on Five's.

"We found all of you. Your bodies."

"We die?"

"Horribly. You were together, trying to stop whoever it was that ended the world."

"Wait, how do you know that?" Luther wanted to know.

Even when Five explained something, things didn't make sense to him.

The teenager took the eye out of his pocket and showed it to Luther.

"This was clutched in your dead hand when I found you."