Ch 3 | A Promise

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Clara and Jimin were inseparable as ten-year-olds. Their families were close, so they spent nearly every weekend together, running around and getting into all sorts of mischief. Despite their young age, there was a bond between them that seemed to transcend mere childhood friendship. Jimin was always the more observant one, noticing things that Clara, in her boundless energy, often overlooked.

One afternoon at school, Clara came rushing over to Jimin, her excitement barely contained. “Jimin, look what I found!” she whispered, her eyes sparkling with a mix of mischief and pride. Slowly, she opened her small fist to reveal a diamond ring, the gem catching the light and sending tiny rainbows dancing across the space between them.

Jimin’s eyes widened in surprise as he took in the sight of the ring. “Wow, Clara, that’s so shiny!” he said, genuinely impressed. But as the initial awe faded, a more serious expression took over his face. He knew this wasn’t just any piece of jewelry. “Where did you get this?” Jimin asked, his tone gentle but concerned.

Clara, completely unbothered, grinned and replied, “I found it on my mom’s table and took it. It’s so pretty, right?” To her, it was a simple act of admiration—she hadn’t thought much about the significance of what she’d done.

Jimin, however, understood immediately. “Clara, that’s your mom’s wedding ring,” he said softly, realizing the gravity of the situation. “You need to give it back and apologize.”

The words hit Clara hard. She hadn’t expected this reaction. The thought of parting with the beautiful ring made her eyes fill with tears. “But I love it,” she mumbled, her voice trembling as she tried to hold back her sniffles. “I want to keep it forever.”

Jimin hesitated. He knew what he was about to say would carry a weight neither of them fully understood yet, but seeing Clara so upset tugged at his heart. After a moment of internal debate, he finally said, “How about this? One day, I’ll get you an even more beautiful ring. Just for you.”

Clara’s tears stopped, her expression shifting from sadness to hopeful excitement. “Really?” she asked, her voice filled with a cautious kind of joy.

Jimin nodded, though there was a slight uncertainty in his eyes. He knew the promise he was making was significant, even if he couldn’t quite grasp why. “Really,” he confirmed, and to seal the promise, they linked pinkies, as they always did.

After school, Clara still seemed downcast, clearly upset about having to return the ring. Jimin noticed her sad expression and immediately wanted to cheer her up. Glancing around, his eyes landed on a small ice cream shop nearby. An idea sparked, and he turned to Clara with a gentle smile.