Ch 7 | Partner in crime

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

ᴀ ғᴇᴡ ʏᴇᴀʀs ʙᴀᴄᴋs |

Clara was finally home, but it didn’t feel quite right. The excitement that had bubbled up when she first landed in Korea was quickly starting to fade. Sure, the streets were familiar, the air was filled with the same sounds she’d missed, but all she could think about was him—Jimin.

Seven years had passed since they’d parted, both of them crying like the kids they were, promising to wait for each other. She had clung to that promise, held onto it like a lifeline through all those lonely years in America. They’d stayed in touch, but things weren’t the same. Life happened—new schools, new friends, time zones. They weren’t those inseparable kids anymore. And now, standing outside the school’s storage room, her heart raced, unsure of what she’d find behind that door.

Jimin had changed. She saw it in the photos he posted, in the things he talked about when they rarely messaged. But she had changed too. She wasn’t the same wide-eyed, naive Clara who had left Korea all those years ago. America had hardened her, taught her to stand up for herself, to be more than just the girl who missed her best friend. And yet, here she was, yearning for that same friendship, for that connection they once had.

Taking a deep breath, Clara approached the door, a mix of nervous excitement coursing through her. Her hand hovered over the handle, ready to push it open, when she heard voices inside—Jimin’s voice and someone else’s. She hesitated, her hand dropping to her side as she leaned in to listen.

“So, you think you can just waltz back into her life like nothing’s changed? What’s your plan, Jimin? You’re going to win her over with those cheesy lines?” The unfamiliar voice laughed mockingly. “Jaewon, stop it. You don’t understand. It’s not about playing games,” Jimin’s voice responded, but there was something off—he sounded uncomfortable.

Jaewon snorted. “Oh, come on. Everyone knows the bet. You said you’d get her by the end of the semester. You’re not actually thinking of backing out now, are you?” Clara’s heart froze in her chest. The bet? Her hand turned into a fist. “Yes, I did say that—” Jimin started, but Jaewon cut him off.

“Well, you better not screw this up, man. We’ve all seen how she’s grown up. She’s not the same kid you knew. I bet she’s hot now. I mean, she was always cute, but you know how American girls are. Probably came back with curves, right?"

Her stomach twisted. It felt like the floor had been ripped out from under her. This was all a joke to them. Jimin had been planning to meet her because of some bet. She had been nothing more than a challenge, a prize to be won. The Jimin she thought she knew didn’t exist anymore.

Her eyes stung with tears as she turned and fled down the hallway, every step heavier than the last. She felt foolish, betrayed. How could she have thought things would be the same? Jimin wasn’t her best friend anymore—he was just some guy who saw her as a game. The bond she’d cherished was shattered in an instant.