Chapter 35

Thanks to Ripley10 for her amazing beta-ing skills. :)

Chapter 35

The phone in the Joker's pocket silently alerted him to an incoming message. Keeping one eye on the roof top and Batman, he read the message quickly. It was from Mark and didn't please him at all. He had to get off the roof top quickly, before anyone saw or heard him. He looked behind him and grinned with glee at the sight of the fire escape ladder that led down to the ground. He looked back over his shoulder at where Deever was still tightly gripping James Jr. and shrugged. It wasn't his problem anyway. Turning, he slid carefully to the edge, confident he was unseen, before quickly climbing to the floor.

Jane and Foxy left the car running and the doors still open as they dashed into the entrance of the theatre.

They kept close to the shadows. Jane followed Foxy feeling very nervous as they moved through the old and run down building. She crept to the side stairs that led to the old auditorium and then crouched in the dusty shadows.

"Where's everyone?" whispered Jane, keeping close to where Foxy was crouched, the gun raised in front of her.

"That's what's worrying me," Foxy murmured. "Deever won't have left his back uncovered. This place should be crawling with idiots."

"What about the man following us?" Jane asked quietly and altered her cramped position. The band around her jeans was cutting into her skin uncomfortably, despite the fact that the top button was undone.

"We should see him come in from here," Foxy replied in a hushed voice. Almost as soon as she'd finished talking, a gunshot rang out from outside the theatre.

"What was that?" hissed Jane and shifted again. She wouldn't be able to keep the crouched position up for much longer without feeling real pain.

"Gunshot," murmured Foxy. She licked her lips and indicated with her head for Jane to stay close to her. "I feel like Cagney and Lacey," she muttered as she lifted the gun close to her face. Still squatting , she began to inch her way towards the doors.

"Yeah, right," snort Jane quietly and resorted to getting down on her hands and knees to crawl behind Foxy. "'Cept we seem to be on the wrong side of the law and I'm no Cagney."

Before Foxy could get very far a loud thunderous noise from above made both of them fall back in fear.

"Is the place collapsing?" Foxy's breathing hissed as the sound got louder and then it became discernable that it was the sound of feet clomping down the now threadbare steps of the main staircase.

"Jeez, it's a herd of elephants," Foxy muttered and they huddled under the steps, keeping careful watch.

"In that case, it's the children," Jane replied. "Gordon must have kept his side of the bargain and released Dumfree."

"Or Deever could be arrested," Foxy said hopefully. "He had men already here though. I do know that. He was going to double cross the Joker here."

Jane made a face, but kept silent. The sound of running feet grew closer and closer and suddenly Jane and Foxy could see the group of children being herded to the ground by Deever's men.

"Seems like Gordon hasn't come through and neither has he arrested him," Foxy muttered and spat on the floor in disgust.

"We can't let him take the children again," Jane replied, watching for any signs of the Joker coming down.

"Right, and how do you suggest we overpower four of his men?" asked Foxy in disgust still.

"Shoot Deever," Jane said simply and blinked, wondering for a moment why it was such a simple decision to make.