Chapter 24

Huge thanks to the brilliant Ripley10. If you haven't done it yet, go and check out her stories.  You won't be disappointed. :)

Chapter 24

"Jane?" A man's voice made Jane whip her head around in disbelief.

"Peter?" she gasped as Peter Styles made his way towards her with an equal look of disbelief on his face.

"Jane, what..." He stopped suddenly seeing Jimmy jump to his feet beside her, phone still to his ear.

"Peter, please..." Jane got up and she felt Jimmy put his hand on her elbow but she gave him a half-smile and stepped towards Peter.

"Jane, what on earth has gotten into you? Are you insane?" his voice lowered and his eyes flicked back and forth between her and Jimmy.

"No, I'm not insane. Please, Peter, I really need you to forget you've seen me. Please?"

"Jane, do you realize how much trouble you're in? You... you... did he... has he?" He stopped running a hand through his hair.

"I'm fine." She didn't reach out, didn't touch him. "Please, just walk away."

"Jane." Jimmy came up beside her and slid his hand around her upper arm. "We've got to keep moving."

"Are you running from the Joker?" asked Peter and the absurdity of it almost made Jane laugh. She shook her head at him, dismayed by the sound of running feet telling her the PD were catching up again.

Peter looked around him; none of the other commuters realized anything was wrong, but he could already see the PD racing along the top bridge that spanned the three platforms towards theirs.

"Ah, not the Joker, but the PD," Peter said with a shake of his head.

"Jane, now!" Jimmy was getting frustrated; they had very little time left.

Peter looked at him and suddenly stepped forwards.

"Take my ticket, Jane. Train's leaving now, go!"

"What?" Jane looked at him in confused fear.

Jimmy grabbed the ticket from Peter's hand and read the destination. He looked between them both and nodded.

"I can get away from here on my own. I'll go back to the boss and we'll get you, Jane, I promise."

"But I...."

"Go!" Jimmy pressed the ticket towards her and then riffled into his pockets, drawing out some money and tucking it into her coat pocket. "Go, Jane, the boss'll kill me if something happens to you. This is your only chance."

"I'll distract them," Peter said suddenly and looked at Jimmy. "Put her on the train and make yourself scarce, I'll lead them away from you."

"Why?" Jane looked at Peter in utter confusion.

"Because I owe you and you know it," Peter replied softly and reached out to gently push her towards Jimmy. "Go on, Jane. Let me redeem myself."

"Thank you," she whispered and reaching forward, kissed his cheek. Jimmy just stared at him before pulling her towards the stairs that lead down to the next terminal.

"Jimmy, I'm sorry," she panted as he dragged her down the last steps and towards the people making their way through the ticket barriers.

"Don't be," he replied quickly. "I'm just hoping your friend up there keeps to his word. Jane, this'll take you all the way to West Bank City if you stay on. Have you got your phone..."