Chapter 15

A/N: Mostly a Joker/Jane chapter really... seems to be all I want to write these days. Oh and please don't take offence to my reference to hospital food. Over here it's... well it's... edible. But the staff are wonderful; not to eat, mind you.

Thank you to Ripley10 her all her hard work in making this legible. :)

Ron stared at the dot on the screen with a mix of disgust at himself and at Jane. He was still sure that if they continued to dance around the Joker then they'd never catch him. He was also certain that Jane was the key to that capture. He did realize, however, that he'd gone one step too far with the tracking device. He was lucky that Gordon had merely shouted at him and not fired him. He sighed and rubbed at his eyes, what was he doing?

"Do you think this is the way to catch the Joker?" came a rasp from behind him. He jumped in surprise and turned to see Batman.

"I think that maybe Jim was right, I went too far," Ron sighed and shrugged

.

"Do you think that Jane is the way to catch the Joker?" repeated Batman and stepped closer to him. "Are you willing to risk her this way?"

"She risks herself every day she stays with him," Ron replied and stuck his hands in his pockets, the black box with the luminous screen was on the roof of the car in front of him.

"But that's her decision," Batman answered.

"Look, if you're here to tell me I was an ass, I think Jim did a good enough job of it. I got the point, I went too far."

"I'm not doing that," Batman said quietly. "The Joker is the most dangerous criminal we have in Gotham at the moment, we need every break we can get."

He stepped forward and took the box from the car roof.

"You did what Jim Gordon couldn't. I'll do what you can't." Batman took a cursory look at the tracking device before moving backward and blending into the darkness of the underground parking lot.

Ron shook his head and unlocked his car, getting in.

"Good luck," he muttered.

Jane slid her way out from under the covers and yawned. She peered up at the digital clock on the bedside cabinet and blinked twice.

"Damn," she squeaked and pushed the covers back to climb out of the bed completely. She wrapped the comforter around her, and taking some clothes from the wardrobe, headed out of the bedroom.

The late afternoon sunshine was pouring through the three sets of the windows on the west side. It was warm and something smelled good. She looked around her but couldn't see the Joker anywhere. She went toward the kitchen and saw the takeout bags on the side. She sniffed at a box with curry and groaned when her stomach growled.

She moved to open one of the boxes and gave a squeal when something hit her in the back of her head. She turned and saw the Joker standing in the doorway of his room. He had a rolled up ball of paper in his hand.

She lifted her hand and rubbed at the spot on her head, looking down at an identical ball of paper on the floor.

"Stop stealing the food, girl," he laughed and turning, threw the paper into the room behind him. "I was beginning to think you'd died in there."

"Nah, I'd not be this hungry if I'd died," she replied, picking up her clothes and going toward bathroom.

"Shower, dress, and then eat." He swiped at her bottom as she passed, but she just avoided his hand, squealing and jumping.